Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
savant365 said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire someone who already has one and knows how to operate it?

I thought about that and may do it yet. We need several shots at different locations and some times it can take many shootings to get one good keeper.

These units really aren't super expensive. In fact one can get a small one (takes crappy video) for $40 or less. China is pumping these suckers out like bottle caps.

There are YouTube videos showing units in the $200 to $500 range that take videos that look just like one was in a real helicopter with a professional camera. The trouble is, these are hobbyists and they usually don't tell where to buy these or give any specific details.

I'm think for what we want to do it would work best to get our own helicopter/cam setup. The actors come when they can and their schedules might not line up with the copter guys available times.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, the learning curve for learning to fly a RC helicopter is fairly long, not up and flying in 5 minutes like the ads lead you to think ::) Saw one at KMart (yup KMart) for $69. I recognized the single board camera in it as reeaalllyy low rez. So I think the you get what you pay for thing holds true.

Google up kite cameras. Have seen some pretty good stills/ video shot off these rigs. Another idea that I've used is to get a weather balloon from Edmund Scientific, add a Swann wireless camera from a sling. If I remember correctly it cost me under $140 including a rental tank of helium. The camera & 9v battery did well on the smallest balloon they offered at the time. Had the receiver hooked up to a VCR & commodore monitor running off a inverter on the tail gate of the jeep. Now with laptops so cheap and cameras selling on EBay etc. and the abundance of editing software, wouldn't be too difficult to set up a system for under $400, if you don't already have the components.

If you need help, shoot me a PM & I can dig up the plans for the suspension rig that keeps the camera pointed down no matter what angle the guy angle is. Or how to do a light weight PTZ set up with RC plane parts. Yup PTZ for under $60!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the ones they had at KMart for $69.
Read the ad - Fly indoors or out (under zero wind conditions) over 150 feet high.

Like I said, if you have time to learn to fly it they're ok. Guarantee you're not gonna pull it out of the box assemble it and fly it right off. Another consideration is availibility of spare parts. Flight time is limited to a few minutes depending on the battery.

Kites or balloons are actually a better way to go. Using a balloon allows you to stay up as long as you need and you can control your decent. Meaning you don't have to worry about slamming your camera into the ground.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
DevilDog812 said:
how about this one? already has a camera in it and costs $80. the camera is only 640x480 resolution though
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/e34f/

Hey!

I'm sorry about the tardy reply here but I've been away for a spell.

I'll come back and respond more to the posts here as I get time.

But this copter looks great!
Thanks!

S

stefen

This is a comment only and is not meant as an arguement...

I had a similar copter which now sits on a shelf in my office...and did not have camera capability...

Main problem are:

limited range
Extremely short battery life
Cannot overcome a light breeze or wind

I determined that I needed a heavier model, possibly a STOL-type ( rotating wing with helicopter capability for landing & takeoff...)

The theory is fine, it's just that the environmental limits come into play.....

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
stefen said:
This is a comment only and is not meant as an arguement...

I had a similar copter which now sits on a shelf in my office...and did not have camera capability...

Main problem are:

limited range
Extremely short battery life
Cannot overcome a light breeze or wind

I determined that I needed a heavier model, possibly a STOL-type ( rotating wing with helicopter capability for landing & takeoff...)

The theory is fine, it's just that the environmental limits come into play.....

Yes, I heard this from others who have experience in this hobby.
Generally the larger the Heli the better. For beginners I was told to get the SYMA S108G 3 CH Infrared Mini Radio Controlled Marine Cobra Helicopter Gyro and learn indoors. I ordered one off Amazon last night and today they raised the price about $9. I hear the demands greatly exceeds the supply on the best selling models.

Go online to most any Heli supply and all you'll see is "SOLD OUT."

Thanks for the tip on the spy Heli.

I'll practice inside our large Corp. building where there are zero wind issues. Once I have that controller down I'll move up to something like the Esky Big Lama with mods. Then I'll try some outdoors flying on dead calm days.

I don't need much video footage so I should be able to get what I need after maybe 20 crashes ;D We can edit and do special effects to make very short clips work.

Oh, I also odered one of those GUM Spy Cameras (720x480 30FPS) all the hobbyist are talking about. I'm wondering if the little S108G can left it. That cam weighs a little over 1/2 oz.

Thanks again,
Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
boogeyman said:
These are the ones they had at KMart for $69.
Read the ad - Fly indoors or out (under zero wind conditions) over 150 feet high.

Like I said, if you have time to learn to fly it they're ok. Guarantee you're not gonna pull it out of the box assemble it and fly it right off. Another consideration is availibility of spare parts. Flight time is limited to a few minutes depending on the battery.

Kites or balloons are actually a better way to go. Using a balloon allows you to stay up as long as you need and you can control your decent. Meaning you don't have to worry about slamming your camera into the ground.

I had thought about the balloon method too. I haven't ruled that out yet. However, we're really looking more for traveling through woods and over swamps video clips. They need not be perfect because they'll all be worked over with special affects anyway. Granted, if I go the Heli direction we'll probably need more than one Copter ;D

I plane to practice a lot inside a very large building that has carpeted floors. I had recommended to me a small double prop Heli that is known to be one of the most stable and easiest to fly models.

I may like this after I get into it but mostly I'm thinking movies and special affects. I doubt I'll really get heavy into this as a hobby.

Thanks for the comment.
Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread