Tracker IV Depth Test - Sanity Check Today

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BountyHunter76

Greenie
Jan 3, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to block out as much garbage as possible. What is the best Coin setup? Or to find more valuables and coins than you do trash? is it more of a location type of deal or is their a certain setup? I got the Tracker 4 for christmas and didnt use it much because of the ground being frozen here in PA

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

I start out with sensitivity at about 3 o'clock and adjust up/down as needed....lower to avoid interference, higher for depth where there is no interference. I set the switch on the right to "discriminate" and the discriminator knob to about 11 o'clock. When I find a good sounding target, I then flip to "tone" and if it still sounds solid, I will go back to "discriminate" and slowly increase discrimination clockwise until the signal starts cracking up, or stops. Based upon where it stops I can get a good feel for whether it is a coin & what kind. Or, I can flip to "all metal" and dig all. Do a search on "settings" in the Bounty Hunter forum...there are a lot of Tracker IV comments. As for the ground being frozen, there is always a hammer and chisel...

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive run all sorts of detectors and the Tracker IV is my favorite by far. Maybe its not the deepest machine out there about 4 to 5 inches average. But ive yet to find a machine that hits coins jewelry and rings like it does.

I would also agree!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 BH Tracker IV's each outfitted with a different size coil, a 4", the stock 8", and the 10.25

For maximum depth I hunt in all metal mode with no discrimination and adjust the sensitivity to just a hair below the threshold. I dig all targets and although I dig a lot of trash I get valuables that high dollar detectors miss, either because an object was being masked by trash or because their readout told them it was a pull tab when it was really a gold ring.

For small targets I've found the 4" to be my favorite but for large objects buried deep such as jars of coins then the 10.25 will get the job done. Just dont expect the 10.25 to find small objects at depth.

GG~

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tracker is a good detector and I have used good detectors and own a few as you can see. It's just some have more bells and whistles and a bit more depth . But yes by adding the ten inch coil on a tracker IV you would have a depth of about 8 inches which isn't bad for a 100 detector that out coins and will out hunt many higher end machines.

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7::laughing7:
dont know how but my response is laughing at the one whose peeps only dropped pennies!

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i can help you lots -- the tracker 4 is a great lil old school analong "sound" type machine * now to help you out -- try this thing -- put the 3 toggle switch into disc setting == place a pulltab and nickle (or gold ring) about 3 foot apart on metal free ground --use the all metal mode to check the ground before you set this "test" up -- now with the machine in disc mode --and the sensivity / power knob atll the way to the left --very slowly up the level until the pull tab no longer "rings up" as you wave the coil over the the tab , now see if the nickle / gold ring still rings up --if so its "properly" adjusted to find as much gold and as little trash as possible --if not very ,very slowly lower it just untilit does "pick up" the nickle .ring --if you had to downward adjust it --there should be a distinct tonal differance between the nickle /ring and the tab --the ring /nickle will sound full and sharp --whereas the tab will be fuzzy or crackly .

since all the good coin signals are "above" the gold ring setting on the "overall' metal scale * you will not lose any coins or silver items (since they are at the high end of the metal scale) but you will cull out many pulltabs (but not all) with little if any gold item loss by doing this set up.--mark the "sweet" spot on your detectors body by the dail with a bit of paint or nail poilish

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis!!
thanks for the info to help learn. my tracker lv is on the way, i chose it over quick silver because of the beach use. (visiting oc md)
mostly ill be doing countryside rural river sides etc.
Oh, and i thought our village green would be a really good spot too!
anyway thanks, ill look up your other posts cause you share the knowledge!!
tamara

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well its important to know a few things --its got 3 modes --all metal is the most powerful anf thus gets the best depth but it has "0" sorting ability ,everything is focused on just finding stuff not IDing what it is (SO ONLY 1 SOUND OR TONE) -- the second one is discrimanation mode --it allows for you toset up a cut off point metals wize -- so that items you do not want to find will not 'ring up' (to a degree that is) IT HAS MULTI TONES -- tone mode is just that --its similar to all metal but it gives out 3 differant "tones" or sounds ,depending upon what type of metal you found --iron is a low "grunty" sound --gold (jewelry) aluminum items are mid tone "ping" -- copper and silver (coins) are a higher type "ping" tone --using tone dig it all types can dig all pulltab /gold ring tones (pulltabs and rings overlap due to similar electrical conductivity levels ) -- using disc you can set it up to get say 95% of the gold but dig a lot less pull tabs in the process (say about 60 -70% LESS PULLTABS)

in clean clear of trash areas --all metal might be the best bet -- in trashy junky areas --disc mode might be a better choice --in areas where there could be good relic items the tone mode might be best -- learning to properly set your disc level is vital if one wants to dig less trash a yet still get as much treasure as possible -- by following my set up adivce given earlier you should be in good shape -- in some areas there are things that will cause issues --often lower the power /sen level isthe key to smoothing out the machine and getting it to run correctly

Last edited:

NordicHunter

Jun 30, 2013
Coeur D alene, ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Tracker IV for my birthday the other day...been trying it out and love and hate it. I went and bought the BH Elite 2200 and tried that last night. Haven't done much with it but seem to like the Tracker IV better. Tested an area in my yard and got three hits, I then tried the Elite 2200 and it was hitting in dozens of spots on the Iron section. I also received several false hits. With the tracker IV so far if it beeps there is something there and the elite 2200 it is a crap shoot. Anyone have any thoughts about which machine is better and which one I should take back? Or why there is such a difference between machines in the little 3 by 5 ft sections I tested it on?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread