Tracker IV finds

D

DeepThought

I decided to check out a ball park I found last week. I found two of the quarters by a bleacher and the rest in the tot lot. A quick scan, really - I only had an hour or so. I can't keep from wondering what a deeper machine (and which one to pick) will find. i keep leaning to Tesoro... IMAG0268.jpg

Upvote 0

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, I have a BH Tracker IV myself... it will pick up silver, as thus far I've found a silver 1954-D dime, a .925 silver pattern necklace, and a .925 silver pinkie ring. I've yet to find any gold, though that may be operator error :icon_scratch: as gold tones the same as nickel, and nickel doesn't pick up well in disc mode. I usually run my machine in disc or tone mode if the area is trashy and all metal if it's a quiet area. I've also found modern bullets, older shotgun slugs, metal toys, crotal bells, an axe head, and a number of wheat cents, so the machine will find stuff for you, but you have to figure out what you're willing to dig.

My Christmas upgrade will be a Garrett AT Pro, moreso for the waterproof capability than anything else, although my one MDing friend swears by it. He recently found a 1784 Spanish dollar with it, and I can't wait to get mine for the improved discrimination technology. But you have to remember that iron is not always junk! Iron is the composition for most relics, along with bronze.

Good luck & happy hunting, believe me it's easy to get discouraged when you're hunting an area with little to no results but that's when you change the notch mode and dig more of the signals, no matter how staticky or scratchy they sound (I think this happens because of ferrous ground mineralization).

EDIT: Everyone has their own methods, but one thing I like about my Tracker IV is that I can "bounce" the coil on a signal and if it consistently repeats, it's like pinpointing the object right in the center of the coil. I think that's a product of the analog signal interpretation/output but it works for me!8-)

Last edited:

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My son and I started about 8 years ago with a Tesoro Cibola. It was a light easy machine that was simple to use. He now uses a Tesoro Tejon which is also nice and light/easy to use but gives better depth, better discrimination. If you're looking to upgrade, Tesoro is a great idea.

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought your sort-of sheepish admission "(new to hobby)" under your Tracker IV i.d. was cute! And VERY relatable as I, too, am new to the hobby and feel CONSTANTLY outclassed by all the sweet hardware here, but everyone is so nice, it doesn't feel bad! I just soak it all in and LEARN.

BottleCapBandit

Nov 18, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Ace350 Outlaw Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the Tesoro's. I never used one before this year. Now I own two!

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

not so much sheepish, Annie - more of a quick disclaimer for the "Porsche" drivers that my equipment, like my experience, is more a "VW" at this point. Though the Tracker and I have become very familiar with one another. So much so that I look at those sexy VI machines out there..and am increasingly less impressed. After getting familiar with focusing on "beep and dig" sounds, the constant movement and noise of the VI screens seem unreadable...

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, And as stated above er'body has there own tastes, I've had an MXT since they first came out and it is my primary hunting unit. But I do also own a ATPro and It's a Great machine too. Plus like stated it water proof to 10 feet............To each his own......And they ALL!!!!! call gold trash ya gotta dig it all to find the nickles and gold!jmho................HH

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not so much sheepish, Annie - more of a quick disclaimer for the "Porsche" drivers that my equipment, like my experience, is more a "VW" at this point. Though the Tracker and I have become very familiar with one another. So much so that I look at those sexy VI machines out there..and am increasingly less impressed. After getting familiar with focusing on "beep and dig" sounds, the constant movement and noise of the VI screens seem unreadable...

Hey! bud you stay with one machine and learn it......You can stand with most of them, and other than relics is unusual for me to find a coin deeper than 6-8 inches here in North ga.................HH

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Far better said ;)

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I never pay attention to the meter reading on the Tracker IV. It bounces around way too much to be of any value to a hunt. The reason why I want to upgrade is the waterproof aspect, yes, but also while I was out with friends one of them found a large cent. For reference they reburied it so the rest of us could do a signal comparison - and my Tracker couldn't find it in any notch mode, but my other friend's AT Pro sang it out loud and clear. Really pissed me off that day, as we were on an old RW-era farm.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using a Tesoro Cibola. Got it in September. Dug an 18th century button and a Roosevelt silver dime and Washington 1951 quarter with it yesterday. Targets were deep in wet sand. I had the discriminator turned down so the salt water wouldn't make it go beserk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread