Tracking Hunting Locations

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just wanted to share a method for tracking hunting locations.

I tried this over the weekend and it worked well. As you can see from the picture below I was at Belleair Beach.

I installed the Map My Run iphone application on my phone. I carry the phone with me in a waterproof case when I'm out hunting.

May My Run is available for Android too and it's FREE.

Map My Run tracks your location via GPS.

Start the application and track your "run" or hunt. Remember to stop your "run" when finished.

You'll get a map like the one below each time you use it. Overtime you'll build a list of "runs" that you can reference. When was the last time I went to X beach? Where exactly did I hunt? Gives you the fancy features of those high end detectors with the GPS units built in without the cost.

I can be a convenient way to remember where and when you were hunting especially if you move around from beach to beach.

It will also tell you how far you've walked which is sort of interesting.

Hope this is helpful.

P.S. Yes the app has privacy settings you can select to keep you activities confidential or you can share them with select friends.

PCkWZEQ.png rLG2s4n.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wish I had year ago - thanks for sharing

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I have used this app for a couple of years now for my walks & runs. It will also count how many calories you burn during your tracking! This is a great tip, but I now use my CTX-3030 to map my hunts. I'll try this when using my Tesoro Sand Shark!
Thank you Casper!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
3030 missing bt. And missing smartphone connectivity. 2000$.

GOfind has both for 200$ ish.

Wondering why. You need a phone to track your finds in the field of you want to. All you can do on 3030 is record a location. There is no way to match a find with the point unless you take the time to write it down. Not conventional water hunting.

Its still a great machine. Gps can be kinda useful... But if I'm gonna track a hunt it's with a smartphone. I usually don't. I worry about my case failing. Lol. Might say heck with it. Thanks for idea. Hhgl-Joe

metal guy

Greenie
Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Suunto Ambit 2. It tracks GPS, Barometric Pressure, Altitude, compass, and I can place markers at specific points and has up to a 50 hour battery life, for you know when you hit a crazy dig spot. I use it with Suunto's website and export to Google Earth where I can link photos of my finds, comments ts/ journal entries, and have sanborn and aerial overlays on areas as well.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread