Tracks to trails

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Does anyone have info about the tracks to trails program? I see that the governors of at least PA and NY have given millions to this project to turn old train tracks into trails all through the Allegheny mountains. But I haven't been able to track (Pun intended) down any info on the locations of completed trails. Also need rules maps anything of info would help.

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
The program is actually called "Rails to Trails" in PA. 26 miles exist between White Haven and Mauch Chunk. Lots more info on the net.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
This goes right thru my area, actually pretty cool but they spent a lot of money on this project that could have gone to better use (JMO tho)

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Thank you Gypsy and Rubicon, Teddy these trails should give us access to a number of ghost towns in the area since most of the old abandoned rail lines supported these towns. ;)

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
That I certainly agree with. ;D

I just know that in my particular area there was a lot of money spent on things that weren't necessarily needed or could have been done differently and less expensive. There could have been better compromises made when it came to spending money.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a rails to trails program here in Michigan with many miles available to walk or bike...no motorized vehicles allowed. I live close to several access sites and it's on my list of places to detect this year, but aside from ghost towns and depots which are all accessible by vehicle traffic and heavily detected, I'm not sure where else to go except to walk the old track bed (some of which has been asphalted) and swing along the edges.

JG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread