Trade Sand Shark for Gold Monster?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I want to beach detect but I want to make it worth it. I've read much on these forums about missing bracelets and necklaces due to them being so small, the detector can't pick them up. I don't want to open that can of worms, since I read some comment wars over the sand sharks performance versus higher priced machines, but if you could afford the minelab gold monster 1,000, would you do the swap?

I rarely go underwater with mine, so having the coil only being submersible is fine with me. If the gold monster would essentially be the sand shark but much better, I'd consider doing this.

My other choice would be the minelab excal...

Thanks all.

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find chains with my Excal regularly.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't the Gold Monster operate at 45kHz? You won't hear anything in the wet saltwater sand, or in the water with it. It will false like crazy, no? :skullflag:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not very familiar with the different Hz. I need to get more educated on the hobby. So the minelab gold Monster is not designed for saltwater beaches? I was hoping it was. I really like the sand shark, but I just grew such a liking to Minelab. I guess I’m one of those people who only want minelab in the collection.

I bought the sand shark for the warranty, but I think deep down inside I should have always bought the excal. That’s where the gold monster came in to mind. I thought it would work as the perfect machine for me on the beach.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your Safari will work great on the beach! :skullflag:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. I didn’t realize the Safari was a good beach detector, even in wet sand. Our beaches in NJ are highly mineralized. This is great to know. I guess I did good with my first two choices on detectors!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use the Safari on the beach be sure to use an environmental cover on it to protect it from the salt mist in the air. Gold Monster would work well on dry sand at salt water beach but will not work on the wet sand or in water only couple inches deep, it is still a single frew detector and not designed for wet salt beaches.

The gold necklaces and chains your talking about will be tiny chains and really very little worth as far as gold weight goes, most chains are hollow. Excals will pick up the chains if they have a large clasp or charm on them or if balled up in the sand. I don't worry about missing the small gold chains when I'm hunting as they have very little gold in them.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the responses all! So I guess now I must ask: keep the sand shark or sell it and get the minelab excal? I’m okay with either option. I know about discrimination and how that’s able to be done on the minelab. Basically is it worth the hassle of selling?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the Excal if you can afford it. Just remember though you will probably want to modify it with a larger coil and graphite shaft $$$$ Good Luck and Big Gold!:skullflag:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. I forgot to also add, since the safari is considered good for the beach, then should I even do anything at all?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personal choice. I LOVE my Sand Shark. I wouldn't swing an Excalibur if you gave it to me, but that is just me. Your Safari is a great all around dirt and beach machine, as long as you don't drop it in the surf. You can get deeper, say up to your knees, waist, with the Sand Shark. The 8" coil is as deep as a 15" on the Excal. Two ways of thinking on this.

Attachments

• gold cache 002.jpg
    gold cache 002.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG00239-20110627-0728.jpg
    IMG00239-20110627-0728.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20160215_115511_edit_edit.jpg
    IMG_20160215_115511_edit_edit.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 80
  • junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 82
  • TerryTides.jpg
    TerryTides.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 84

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you want to sell the sand shark I may be interested

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. The sand shark has done great for me so far. I think I’m just a big minelab fan and want to keep it in the family. I’m still up in the air with it, but considering it. I appreciate everybody’s input on this.

Jeff - i PM’d you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread