Traded my ATPRO

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after getting fed up with the shoddy workmanship of the ATPRO I traded it for a brand new Coinmaster GT. I sent the ATPRO in for repairs to the speaker and some falsing/chattering. Came back turned it on, speaker was still broke, though the falsing was fixed.

The other day I was just getting ready to hunt and on side of the arm cup just snapped. No force was used. It was a clean break. Looked at the break and there were a lot of air bubbles in the plastic. I really loved the machine as far as hunting with it, but the quality and customer service from garrett was pretty underwhelming.

I only used the Coinmaster GT one time so far and the first and only thing I dug was a standing liberty quarter. Not sure I like the 9 tones or no cam lock on the rod. But I will try to learn it the best I can.

Anyone else have a bad garrett experience or have any insight on the Coinmaster GT?

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983?
Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)
Yes. Sent in a perfectly running GMHCX albeit 21 years old, for a new battery compartment and got back a machine that only detected my car keys and nothing else, and I mean literally, NOTHING ELSE.. sent back in an after a week got a call from Garrett service which was pleasant in general, but filled with bad news, such as, the pc board burned up, circuits keep frying, we fix one and another blows..etc!!! I got 40 percent of list on an ATPRO, $430 shipped to my door.. I am pleased with the ATPRO, not having the issues you had, although my first impression was, CHEAP PLASTIC,...impossible screw connections, and possibly not the advertised depth on quarters like they said,, I bury silver Mercs and get maybe 6" barely, but a clad dinme I nailed one at 8" ever changing conditions,,, I am impressed with hunting in trashy areas, the iron audio is something I can appreciate. If I could afford it, I would get myself a T2. After seeing a video of dozens of people using their detectors to find a piece of gold at 7" and the T2 blew them all away...V3, Goldbug, Deus couldnt get it...I am puzzled sometimes how things vary so much, I mean how much in the settings can you screw up when you run All Metal max sens,?? and not find a chunk of 24K gold at 7" Good luck with the new detector....

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
The only 2 people I know that have an AT Pro personally had them leak. One bought it as soon as it came out, the other last month.
But hey, those digger guys on tv use them. :tongue3:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my At/Pro several months now and luckily I've had nothing but great performance out of it. One of the speakers came apart when I dropped it, but I put it back in and snapped it in place and it still works. I just ordered the gray ghost amphibians and I hope to use it in deeper water than what I've been using it for. I've dropped it 4-5 times and it still works great. I'm kinda rough on a detector, but so far I've failed to break anything on it. I do better on the water than on land and I guess it's because the water and sand are more conductive than the dry land. HH.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only garrett I have had was the ace 250 which I didn't like as the tones got to you fast. Although the ace 250 was constructed well I would recommend a silver umax, compandre, or fisher f2 over tue ace 250.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my new AT Pro for about a month, I Hated all the noise that came outta that thing. I hunt mainly in nearby trashy parks and ball fields and that thing would not shut up! It sounded like all those women on that QVC channel my wife watches chattering over a new handbag. I emailed Garrett and the Rep. emailed back saying, "We don't want someone using a detector they are not happy with". They offered to take it back and said I could have the detector of my choice in the same price range. I got a GTP 1350 and I love it. Love the target size profiling feature. Been getting silver coins and jewelery from my same old hunted out parks all year with it. Don't have a beach here, but hated the AT Pro in trashy parks...Good luck with your new machine!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a malt i tone user either
one tone
listen for a smooth faint sound

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an ATPro this spring and it has performed wonderfully all year. She's been under water several times and no issues. I am having a ball with it. Only complaints are that the stock coil is a bit heavy, although you get used to it, and my arm cuff broke.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda like trading a Corvette in on a Chevette! As long your happy!

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AT Pro is that bad? I think the armrest quality is OK.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long story, but I've had three Ace 250s. Not because they broke, but the price was right on two of them. I gave one to my grandson hoping he'll take up the trade so to speak. I have never had a problem with any of them. I did buy a DD coil for one, but that was a poor move in several ways.

When I first got my GTI-2500, it just didn't work correctly with the 12 inch coil. They replaced that, but to be truthful, it didn't help. The 12 inch is okay if you live in Kansas where there isn't much mineralization, but here in New Mexico, it is worthless.

As for the general overall service—I think it is hard to beat.

OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret making the trade. I hate the Whites, but I had a broken AT PRO. After sending it in the first time and getting it back still broken, and then having the arm cup snap on me I traded it away out of frustration. I am not sure of the value of a broken AT PRO. But I got essentially a brand new Whites in the deal. I guess my thought process was that if I didnt like the Whites, I could get more in trade/sell value out of it than I would the broken Garrett which is where I am at now in the situation.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a rumor, i heard that the at pro is an very little upgraded ace 350. but i heard that through the grape vine. - not to mention the tv shows and advertisement for them and people buying them as they are mass produced turns out a lot of them will have some errors. Hope the Coinmaster works out for you! HH

Last edited:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret making the trade. I hate the Whites, but I had a broken AT PRO. After sending it in the first time and getting it back still broken, and then having the arm cup snap on me I traded it away out of frustration. I am not sure of the value of a broken AT PRO. But I got essentially a brand new Whites in the deal. I guess my thought process was that if I didnt like the Whites, I could get more in trade/sell value out of it than I would the broken Garrett which is where I am at now in the situation.

Well I hope that it all works out for you bud. There are so many good machines out there from various manufacturers, that I wouldn't get uptight over brands. Jeez, environmental variables alone may make a certain machine from brand X more useful at that time and place than brand Y or Z. Any mass produced product has the potential to go sideways on us. Good luck.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
The AT Pro has got to be the worst quality detector ever.
How the heck do all these arm cups keep snapping? Are people using them like Pete Townsend uses his guitars? I know 2 people with them. Both leaked and had to be repaired and then one of them gets it back and the arm cup snapped off. He's done with it and is looking at a couple of other makes.
My no holds barred thinking since I've owned 2 Garretts is, my GTAx1000 was a great starter machine, my GTI 2500 was an over priced, under achiever that couldn't keep up to a Compadre and the Ace 250 I used was a childs toy. They still make my favorite pinpointer and they better work out the bugs on their new machine before they release it.
You won't read that in any treasure magazine.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The arm cuff has been redesigned and new stock now has the upgraded/reinforced arm cuff. The new cuff has ribs for added strength. Replacements have been sent at no charge from Garrett to customers with broken arm cuffs.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Last edited:

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my AT Pro! yeah my arm cuff broke, I called Garrett and within 5 days had a new arm cuff as well as 2 extra battery holders FREE of charge. I have recently finished my first 100 hours with the AT and have dug over 1000 coins including over 30 silvers, dozens of Indian heads, V nickels, Buffalo's, 6 silver rings, one gold ring, 3 silver chains and tons of other interesting stuff. I loved my machine so much I went and bought another as a spare!
The trick to keep them from leaking is to use a good silicone lube on the Battery door O ring every time you remove the door.

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean the AT Pro can't do this?? :icon_scratch:

Sorry, couldn't resist to poke some fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread