Trading 90%ers for Eagles

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay sports fans, Hypothetically you want to move from 90% silver halves into ASEs. What do you "the common man" think is a reasonable exchange rate for the deal. Would 3 90%ers float your boat in a trade for each Eagle or how many do you think one would have to give up to attract the attention of an Eagle Seller ?

I am fully aware of the 1000 or so variables in question. I am just trying to get a feeling what I might be up against.

Thank you for your ever serious answers to my questions. Cheers, Jim

Upvote 0

grampa

Nov 27, 2008
depends who you're doing the deal with... dealers obviously give less than melt for your coins but then charge spot +$5 or so for eagles... if you could find someone to do 3 90s for an eagle jump all over it imo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Assuming you got your 90%ers at face I guess it doesn't matter as much, but just know that when you buy ASEs you will not recoup your premium when you sell unless you sell directly to another collector and get lucky. You will do much better on the buy/sell spread sticking to well known hallmarked round and bars (at least that is what I found).

Normally when you sell 90%ers you don't get melt, and when you buy ASEs you get hit a few bucks over melt. I doubt you would find many collectors or dealers that would do a 3 for 1 even though the "value" is about equal taking into account all premiums plus/minus.

Jim

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
coolpix9 said:
Okay sports fans, Hypothetically you want to move from 90% silver halves into ASEs. What do you "the common man" think is a reasonable exchange rate for the deal. Would 3 90%ers float your boat in a trade for each Eagle or how many do you think one would have to give up to attract the attention of an Eagle Seller ?

I am fully aware of the 1000 or so variables in question. I am just trying to get a feeling what I might be up against.

Thank you for your ever serious answers to my questions. Cheers, Jim
I'm with grampa on this one. I feel that it depends on who you're looking to trade with.

A collector might value the 90% coins more and be willing to trade you an ASE for your 3 90%ers, depending upon the date/mint/condition of the 90%ers of course.

A dealer would likely want more to cover the difference in spread between the below melt value of the 90%ers vs the over spot premium of the ASE. Coin wear/weight on the 90%ers might be more important to a dealer as well.

Your best bet would probably be to find a collector or hoarder that prefers the history of 90%ers over the investment of bullion. I'm like that myself, but I've never seriously considered trading away my buried ASE treasure :icon_pirat:

Bob

brewboss

Mar 9, 2011
It'd take about $50 worth of silver, so 3 and a dime would be about right, roughly. The problem is that I can buy 90% for less than spot, so in my LCS I'd have to give least 3 halves and a quarter or somewhere around there.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Right now you cant buy an eagle for less than $51 or so unless you find someone who doesnt know what they have. Check ebay out. Every single Eagle with cost plus shipping in some form will bring $57.00. Eagles bring a premium for a reason.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
JD-GA said:
Right now you cant buy an eagle for less than $51 or so unless you find someone who doesnt know what they have. Check ebay out. Every single Eagle with cost plus shipping in some form will bring $57.00. Eagles bring a premium for a reason.

I wish that I would have known that 6 months ago. The guy that had SE had a premium on them...and I was too dumb to understand it! Of course, I've learned that over time, but why didn't someone call me and tell me that?

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Jim,
With the gold/silver ratio where its at you may should trade some silver for gold. A large correction will affect silver alot more than gold percentagewise, same as silver has gone up percentagewise against gold. I wouldn't trade it all in case the ratio drops further but it wouldn't hurt to take some silver profits in gold as a hedge. This is what I've been doing- granted I started trading too soon but I'm still in metal so its all good.
Just a thought mind you but I wouldn't do the eagle thang unless they were gold ones. HH Mark

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
At the shows and many dealers ive dealt with they dont pay much more for an ASE over 90% so i see no reason to lose money trading for what amounts to a different type of silver. For what purpose do you want to trade? If it is space then get gold , If you think a silver confiscation is possible then ASEs are no safer then 90%ers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread