WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
We had one pecking on the siding on the house the other day and it sounded like an m16 on auto.

Hahahaha! I bet it did! I love hearing them peck in the woods, on a tree. We have them constantly pecking on our barn posts. Drives Mr WD nuts!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
How do they see a red belly??????

You are just challenging me! LOL! Ok. So it says:
the Red-bellied was named for the unique pinkish tinge on the belly, common to both genders

In my pic it looks brown. In yours, I see yellow tint. But here is the websites example, and you can see the pinkish tint:

red-bellied_woodpecker+on+suet.jpg

Some more information from the site:

One of the most common woodpeckers, it is found all along the eastern half of the United States. This woodpecker is unusual in that it will sample any food it finds. It eats seeds, fruit, acorns, insects and loves suet when it’s available. In the fall and winter it will store its food in the barks of trees to pull out and eat later.

Special cells on the end of their bills are constantly replaced because of the repeated pounding. Woodpeckers are important to many other bird species because they drill new nest holes each year and leave the old cavities for birds like swallows, owls, bluebirds, and a huge array of small birds like wrens and chickadees to use.

Here is the site: Wild Birds Unlimited: Why is it called Red-bellied Woodpecker?

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool. I once was at a garage sale and there was a fawn hiding in the flower bed between the properties. We have encroached on their habitat, I am afraid.

Nah...they just adapt like most other birds and animals. They have found out where the smorgasboard of eats are...flowers, fruit trees and a few blades of grass to polish things off. A few pesky dogs that can be dispatched quickly. They've found a paradise.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Shot.
The camera probably went black for a while because the Red Bellied woodpecker was sitting on it eating the corn and his tail was in front the lens, till he flew away.

For Contrast here is a Red Headed Woodpecker on Left, Red Bellied Woodpecker on right.
23727011.jpg

Again.. Great Shot..

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Shot.
The camera probably went black for a while because the Red Bellied woodpecker was sitting on it eating the corn and his tail was in front the lens, till he flew away.

For Contrast here is a Red Headed Woodpecker on Left, Red Bellied Woodpecker on right.
View attachment 1659716

Again.. Great Shot..

Thanks Buck8point. That's a neat pic you posted. Is that yours? or did you get it off the internet?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys inspire me to get a cam as well. I'm so far up a holler there's deer, turkey, bear, you name it. Might come up with some pics of wonderful nature, pics I would send to my kids = they're all city folk, and Mother Nature might inspire them.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was a random pic off the internet.
Game Cameras can be a lot of fun..
Enjoy..

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys inspire me to get a cam as well. I'm so far up a holler there's deer, turkey, bear, you name it. Might come up with some pics of wonderful nature, pics I would send to my kids = they're all city folk, and Mother Nature might inspire them.

You should! Buy your self one for Christmas.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had one for awhile, but most times don't have it out. I did get pictures of the beavers a few years ago. One pic is of the beaver licking the camera's lens. I have pics of crazy people wandering through the woods, all kinds of stuff.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had one for awhile, but most times don't have it out. I did get pictures of the beavers a few years ago. One pic is of the beaver licking the camera's lens. I have pics of crazy people wandering through the woods, all kinds of stuff.

You should post some for us.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should get one! It's pretty cool to see what's going on.

That is so true. I have a 6 foot fence around 75% of my property and a 3 foot around the rest. For over a year some animals have been leaving deposits almost every night. At one time I even put out a trap but it was ignored. I settled just to pick up the krap every week but my wife was getting upset and thought some neighbor was putting their dog over the fence all the time. I told her these were big deposits but a neighbor would not rick getting caught. I bet her they were from cats.

So I bought a $40 trail cam at wallyworld. We have only had it out for about two weeks and nothing but big cats at all hours. Looks like only two but they are big house cats. None have actually been caught doing their business yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread