Trail Of Tears

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
'Trail Of Tears'

The "Trail of Tears" was a forced removal of at least twenty thousand Cherokee Indians. The exact number of Cherokees is not known. In 1838, the US government moved them from their homelands in the mountain valleys of Appalachian Georgia and the Carolinas to western Indian Territory in present-day Oklahoma. Cherokee call this trail Nunna-da-ul-tsun-yi, meaning "The Place Where They Cried." Traveling through bad weather and without proper clothing, at least 4,000 Cherokee died on the trail.

Upvote 0
Re: 'Trail Of Tears'

There is a county road in N.E. Texas, between Winfeild and Mt. Vernon that is considered to be the last part of the trail of tears still in use. It has a brown sign marking it as such, but it was originally a trade route used by mound building Caddoans. Used to run right past the Hale mound group till the state blocked off that route to keep down the looting problem.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very good. Cheif John Ross's house still remains and is just a few miles from mine. Ole Johhny was a big arrowhead hunter and hunted many of the same areas I do. One of his wrangler jeeps is down at the farm.
There are many books and documents here on the trail of tears. The last fighting band of Cherokees were killed here as well. In searching back some deeds I see where the Indians were removed and it became the property of whites. Long subject with lots of history.
Johnny Cash was always interested in local Indian history and artifacts.
Thanks for sharin
TnMtns

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee

Jonnyreb said:
There is a county road in N.E. Texas, between Winfeild and Mt. Vernon that is considered to be the last part of the trail of tears still in use. It has a brown sign marking it as such, but it was originally a trade route used by mound building Caddoans. Used to run right past the Hale mound group till the state blocked off that route to keep down the looting problem.
Same here they have it marked about 6 miles from me..

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee

TnMountains said:
Very good. Cheif John Ross's house still remains and is just a few miles from mine. Ole Johhny was a big arrowhead hunter and hunted many of the same areas I do. One of his wrangler jeeps is down at the farm.
There are many books and documents here on the trail of tears. The last fighting band of Cherokees were killed here as well. In searching back some deeds I see where the Indians were removed and it became the property of whites. Long subject with lots of history.
Johnny Cash was always interested in local Indian history and artifacts.
Thanks for sharin
TnMtns
Wow! small world i guess lol... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee

Trail of tears map..

Attachments