Train bridge retaining walls - Possible Treasures

Garrett350@NC

Apr 18, 2023
WIlson, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
I do not know how true it is or if it holds any merit. I can not recall where I have read the article
but it has been said that during the civil war skirmishes soldiers would hide valuables in these walls
to prevent enemies from getting hold of it. Valuables would be hidden within these walls. can anyone tell me if there is any truth
to this and when you go metal detecting if you take the time to run your metal detector across these surfaces? These rocks have been used many years ago ranging in different sizes. The (white) section looks to be fairly new.
trainbridge.png

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Only recalling one account of someone having his son check a rail tunnel for an alleged solid reason.
Then later when asking if/ how the tunnel walls were searched and suggesting he should check high enough on the walls a horseback rider wouldn't need to dismount to access a block/brick above pedestrian level..

OP
OP
Garrett350@NC

Garrett350@NC

Apr 18, 2023
WIlson, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Only recalling one account of someone having his son check a rail tunnel for an alleged solid reason.
Then later when asking if/ how the tunnel walls were searched and suggesting he should check high enough on the walls a horseback rider wouldn't need to dismount to access a block/brick above pedestrian level..
It is something I will do on a regular bases given the situation. It never hurts to be thorough and take everything into consideration

OP
OP
Garrett350@NC

Garrett350@NC

Apr 18, 2023
WIlson, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Well aside from possibly being killed by a train you're most likely to be arrested for trespassing on RR Property.

Got a buddy who works for the RR and the stories I've heard are pretty messy.
actually the railroad is out of the jurisdiction of the police departments. Not all Retaining walls are 3 feet from the tracks. Most are well below the tracks. at each end of the Bridge The image is just an example. Some bridges after the war are no longer in service. Where I come from people fish off the bridges and are perfectly safe and no one has ever been killed or told to not fish. I have been living here 20 years never an issue. Using common sense and staying out of the path of trains would be advised

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
actually the railroad is out of the jurisdiction of the police departments. Not all Retaining walls are 3 feet from the tracks. Most are well below the tracks. at each end of the Bridge The image is just an example. Some bridges after the war are no longer in service. Where I come from people fish off the bridges and are perfectly safe and no one has ever been killed or told to not fish. I have been living here 20 years never an issue. Using common sense and staying out of the path of trains would be advised
Your right about the out of the police jurisdiction part. Railway cops are above a regular beat cop.
Their property their laws and rules.
Probably nothing will happen as long as you don't start getting caught disassembling a retaining wall.
We detected a bit around a few tunnels never hot anything except R/R scrap steel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread