Train keeps on moving.Southern Pacific Railroad ring.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I even entered this in the unusual finds contest.....I would say this is the find that almost gave me a heart attack. While detecting at a small rail station site that has long been gone I was finding the usual amount of nails, date nails, chunks of tin and iron and was ready to pack up and head back to home. I was checking around about four or five feet from the tracks when I got another junk signal. I said what the heck, another slice of tin or hunk of iron, but i"ll dig. About four inches under the rock,dirt and coal I saw a small glint of gold...As I dug it out, I wont repeat the words I said, but you can imagine. Other than about half of the enamel on top being gone and wear, its pretty much like it came out of the ground, minus a Little dirt. One side has the front of the train and the other the back. Passenger train from the looks of it...Never seen another like it. Must have belonged to a railroad official from the 1920' to the 50's..I don't think a normal RR-worker would have something like this... 10k gold and a real heart stopper. needless to say a keeper and one of a kind...Think about what this ring looked like new...WOW
Thanks! DG39

Attachments

• ringtop.jpg
    ringtop.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,203
  • ringsideone.jpg
    ringsideone.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,261
  • ringsidetwo.jpg
    ringsidetwo.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,445
  • ringtop.jpg
    ringtop.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,143
  • ringsideone.jpg
    ringsideone.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,150
  • ringsidetwo.jpg
    ringsidetwo.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,144
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess a 6 or so It fits on my little finger, but it has good weight. The top center is a little under 1/2 inch in dia.

The finger hole is 3/4 inches..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Great looking Ring !

Congrats !

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice ring!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the gradual decline of the railroads and many no longer in service, railroad memorabilia is at an all time premium. That ring is obviously old from the wear and probably very valuable. I have a little contemporary memorabilia and it is worth a lot already! Rates an Excellent! Monty

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than "Southern Pacific Railroad" There is not much I can do. It is 10k and unless I find evidence of others
I almost have to allow that it is one of a kind. There is no doubt as to its being "real" (not a dreamed up ring.)
I am assuming it is a custom made ring for a railroad official or officer. As I stated earlier, i don't think the run of the mill RR worker would have one of these made..I'm still looking for a match. Please PM me if anyone of you find anything.
Someone mentioned perhaps it belonged to a yardmaster or supervisor. As to value, I would place it at about $500 +.
I realy would like to come up with more information..
Thanks
DG :'(

PhotoTJ

Apr 12, 2005
The Pacific Coast, Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GTI 2500, Sea Hunter II. I like Garrett!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool find, I am sending a link of this to my cousin, he knows everything about railroads.

No, I mean that.

Everything.

If he can come up with something, I'll let you know.

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Wow that is a nice ring. I hope to find one as nice as that someday. HH. Ted

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I am guessing it is a years of service anniversary ring. My company offers rings, watches and other things with the company logo on it for long years of service anniversaries. The longer you are there, the better the gift is.

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of today I don't know anymore than I knew when I posted it. I'm tempted to get a jeweler friend of mine to re enamel it for me. It is one good looking ring. every one I have talked to said it probably belonged to a yard master or officer of the railroad. Other than that I just enjoy its beauty...Lets have a show of hands if I should have it re-enameled....Also I wonder if it was just blue and white or was there another color on the logo?
DG

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Very nice find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to do a search on this ring....couldn't find anything...but here is a link for a logo. Might give you an idea about the colors in the ring.

http://www.railwayshop.com/signs/spsign.jpg

And here's a link that maybe someone at this site could possibly help you.
http://www.sphts.org/

If I can locate anything on this...I'll be sure to post.

HH............Ann

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread