Train Robbery Loot Buried Near Canadian

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
I was born and raised near McAlester and Indianola. I started detecting there with my dad in the mid 1970's with an old Whites 6000 D Coinmaster. We found alot of old coins. We had heard tells of the Fort Smith and Western Railway there. We were told of a Train Robbery that had occured there in the depression days and tales of the loot being buried somewhere between Canadian and Canadian Shores not far from the South Canadian River. Which was near our home. We searched and never found it. I do remember an old homesite, we were told by local old timers it was a hold up place for the robbers. We inspected it a bit but it was so overgrown and infested with Tics and Mosquitos that we give up pretty quickly. I recall we did find an old cast iron stove buried full of dishes. Today we would have tried to save them, back then they were just old dishes. I guess during the great depression these people buried their belongings with hopes of returning for them. This could still be a great place to start looking for the loot. I recall it being on the south side of the old railroad bed maybe 1/2 mile hike west of Canadian Shores. We moved from the GREAT State of Oklahoma in 1982 and I never had a chance to go back and revamp the search and probably never will. This could be a cache still waiting to be discovered.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Never say "never". You should go back and check things out. Don't make it one of those things you "always said you wanted to do, but never did". Seriously. I had planned to take an MDng trip this past October back to Wakita, OK where my mom grew up. Unfortunately, had to postpone it because my wife got sick. HOWEVER, I will be going back..hopefully...this next summer. I'm itching to get back to OK and check out my grandparent's old farm. Never know what I will find.

Go for the spirit of the hunt!
--Mel

borninok

OklaBuck

Greenie
Jan 28, 2007
McAlester, Okla
Detector(s) used
whites, Garrett.and Tesoro
john37115 said:
I was born and raised near McAlester and Indianola. I started detecting there with my dad in the mid 1970's with an old Whites 6000 D Coinmaster. We found alot of old coins. We had heard tells of the Fort Smith and Western Railway there. We were told of a Train Robbery that had occured there in the depression days and tales of the loot being buried somewhere between Canadian and Canadian Shores not far from the South Canadian River. Which was near our home. We searched and never found it. I do remember an old homesite, we were told by local old timers it was a hold up place for the robbers. We inspected it a bit but it was so overgrown and infested with Tics and Mosquitos that we give up pretty quickly. I recall we did find an old cast iron stove buried full of dishes. Today we would have tried to save them, back then they were just old dishes. I guess during the great depression these people buried their belongings with hopes of returning for them. This could still be a great place to start looking for the loot. I recall it being on the south side of the old railroad bed maybe 1/2 mile hike west of Canadian Shores. We moved from the GREAT State of Oklahoma in 1982 and I never had a chance to go back and revamp the search and probably never will. This could be a cache still waiting to be discovered.
Howdy John. I live North of McAlester. And I have been on that old Rail Road bed lots of times that you are talking about. In the summer there are plenty of Ticks, skeeters and snakes just like you say. Thats one of the reasons I hunt later in the year when it gets cold and puts the crittrers up. Lots of old abandoned homes around some got to be pretty old. I havent heard the story you are talking about but the next time Im out in that area Im gonna ask some questions. Problem is most of the old timers are gone now. Buck Rogers

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Hi Buck your name sounds so familar. I miss Oklahoma, most all of my family is still out there but I seldom get a chance to visit. I wish you luck with your TH'ing

K

KirkTN

Brother I hadn't thought about this old treasure tale in years. You did a good job of writing it down.

I would love to go back out there and hunt that place now that we're Men.

Brother Kirk

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent most of my grade school years living in Canadian. My parents owned a liquor store in Canadian and every year an old man would spend a month in the area treasure hunting. They called him catfish and that is all he did was treasure hunt. He was well to do from a find in Arkansas and put a ton of time into research. He never mentioned hunting for this legend but was after a Spanish horde stolen and hidden in the hills of the Canadian area by indians. I was (and still am) a history freak and love to arrowhead hunt, I lived by the Arrowhead lodge in a place called arrowhead estates. I stumbled accross a place that was complete with very old cabin foundations and a small graveyard in the middle of nowhere. I am going to go back to this spot with a metal detector soon. I loved living in that area. One big problem with ever finding anyting there treasure wise is Lake Eufaula is huge and covers most of the area these things are prob hidden. There is an old trail which runs right next to Gibson creek right before getting into Canadian on 69 complete with bent over trail marker trees from the natives....very cool. I saw an old map on here which showed Canadian before it was named Canadian...it was Buzzards Roost on the Canadian River. Very cool area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread