Translucent blue rocks

gabis1207

Feb 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these in my garden last spring while digging some holes to plant some potatoes, along-side a AA battery, for size comparison.

Any idea what they might be?

20150222_002509.jpg

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gabis,
My name is the Swizard on Tnet, I usually hang out in the Lost Silver Mines of Johnathan Swift forum. I have a BS degree in geology from NKU. Those are very beautiful crystals, I looked in my rocks and minerals book and the closest I could come to identifying them, is that they might be Sodalite, a crystal silicate. Sodium aluminum silicate chloride NA4AL3(SiO4)3Cl.
Definition for appearance says, very rare dodecahedral crystals, usually compact masses, bright blue, white or gray with green tints. Environment says, occurs in under-saturated Plutonic igneous rock, associated with (Leucite, Nepheline, Syenites, and Phonolites). Found in desilicated, matasomatized limestones and volcanic blocks. Mostly found in Maine, and Arkansas in the USA.
Uses, in jewelry or as polished slabs/carved ornaments. This might be more info than ya need, but this is what I think they are according to the appearance in your photo, and in Simon and Schusters's Guide to Rocks and Minerals Book. Well hope this helps ya!

SWIZ

Upvote 0

Flick420

Jan 14, 2011
I think its slag glass based off the fractures, it looks like the piece on the left was cut twice with a saw, and the coloring on the right piece.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say glass too!! Swifty, I do a lot of lapidary work and have never seen or heard of translucent sodalite. All sodalite I have seen is opaque, and it will not have conchoidal fractures like the specimens shown.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions