Detector(s) used
CTX3030 - 11", 6" coils
White's MXT Pro -coils: 300, 4x6DD, SEF 8x6 & 15x12
Coinmaster Pro - 9" spider
Garrett sea hunter mark II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those out there that have pickups I was just wondering how you transport your metal detectors around for security? I have a super crew ford so space inside the truck isn't really an issue however I always think maybe someone will see through the window at what I have in the truck and possibly break the window to get at it. A quick fix would be to get darker tint on the windows but most cities only allow 20% and that really isn't all that dark. I am thinking of possibly getting a truck bed box to store all my gear in there but was wondering what others do too.

Thanks for any input,

Charles

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always break it down and put it a backpack or a box labeled "Human Waste".

OP
OP
nitro74d

nitro74d

Aug 21, 2006
Spring hill, Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 - 11", 6" coils
White's MXT Pro -coils: 300, 4x6DD, SEF 8x6 & 15x12
Coinmaster Pro - 9" spider
Garrett sea hunter mark II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call on the plastic truck box and getting hot. I will be eventually moving back to Florida and I could see that happening. I do break most of it down and put it in a back pack to bring in to work, but It would be nice to leave it whole and just grab and go. Maybe I will just go with the blanket idea. At least if people don't see it they might not break a window for possibly nothing.

Thanks all,

Charles

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I just put mine in the back seat of my truck and never worry about it ..... The tint on the back seat windows on my pick up are so dark you can not see in .... And that was factory...... And i thought that the tint laws were only for the front windows ..... At lease in most states they are....

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Factory window tint does the job with my Grand Cherokee.

I also cover or hide anything of value right down to pennies in the center console. The other thing is to make your vehicle look like a non target. Even a newer vehicle can made to look uninviting. Because my Jeep gets used as a Jeep it gets parked in a lot of remote areas. I make it look like Felix Unger owns this vehicle. I keep a bag of what i call clean trash in the car. It has assorted fast food wrappers, empty crushed plastic water bottles, candy wrappers, convenience store bags a couple grungy tee shirts, a tattered sweat shirt and a beach towel artistically made to look like something died a horrible death on it. I spread these around should anyone happen to look inside. No right thinking person would want to touch my car let alone break into it. That includes meth heads and other drug fiends.

That said, from this time of year thru the summer heat is an electronics killer. So, nothing electronic is left in the car during the day except the gps.

Last edited:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
BTW, my car was broken into once. In the city, in a parking lot with 200 other cars, with video surveillance, in the middle of the day.

That was a hard lesson. i'd left change on the center console in plain view. Thief threw a chunk of concrete thru the driver's window. Took the change, and left everything else.

My bad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread