Trapped in the 1800s but I did dip into Medieval...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few hunts worth of finds this week, just the better stuff. But first, a picture of two old wooden beer kegs I acquired a few months ago.
WoodKegsS.jpg

The bigger keg still has the brass quality assurance tag, 41 liters or close to 10 Gallons. These kegs were used into the 1930s.
WoodKegsT.jpg

One of the fields I am waiting on to be harvested, should have been a gallows at the upper part of the corn field, middle of the picture. I detected Sunday just to the left of this corn field on a harvested corn field. A car was coming down the lane and I thought who could this be back here? It was my friend and our museum director, we had a chat and I asked what he was doing back here and he laughed and said he was checking up on me as he pulled out two dowsing rods from his SUV. He was headed back to where we had a seminar a few weeks ago where a small town or farm had once stood to test the area for himself. We should have done it together, detector versus dowsing rods as he was excited after playing with the dowsing rods. I have detected that field several times and if anything old is there, it is deep as the soil is sandy and loamy. After his adventure, he showed me an area where the Nazis had a defensive position close by. What fun we had finding it, it was a blast and another long story.
13Oct08Field.jpg

A few pieces of lead, two headless horsemen, two lead seals, a Hanover style bullet late 1700s and a clay marble.
13Oct08Lead.jpg

An 1800s buckle, a pastry jig and two harness mounts I believe are late to post medieval.
13Oct08Relics.jpg

A few pieces of jewelry and pendants, upper left shows king Wilhelm of Prussia, lower is a hollow pendant, not sure if it is a locket but I think it is as it has a notch at the bottom. Should I open it or try to? I probably will, LOL. Small star in the middle with glass stones looks to have been a stick pin, lower is some kind of brooch. Right an Iron Cross pendant, whatever was in the middle melted.
13Oct08Jewelry.jpg

A large medallion commemorating 700 years from the local town where it now is located, the medallion is 58 years old. This town moved in 1250 and was originally founded in 1008 AD, we just celebrated 1000 documented years. The confusing part is, the Archies proved with a magnetometer there was nothing where the original town should have stood. I have always thought the same as there was not enough room for what was required of a medieval hotel. I think my permitted areas that show where 4 large barns were, still seen today is the original town site. The second piece is a silver hasp. I am very happy with this find as it shows very skilled craftsmanship. I will try to take a close up and post it. HH, Mike
13Oct08SilHasp.jpg

Upvote 0
T

tulecanyon

HEY, that large keg has my initials on it,send it over please. ;D

neat finds.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think i've ever seen a "headed" horseman ever posted on here Mike,Great job on some nice recovery's.The keg's are really cool......Congrat's and HH!!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can have the kegs, just put the contents in a plastic bag and send it to me...
Nice finds, and sometimes it is nice to just chat and learn new things, but you found a bunch of stuff too, so that was great.

PANNONIAN

Jan 6, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Very nice finds Mike! Every one of them.How many marbles you have so far? Seems to me you find some in every time you go detecting? Congrats! Pannonian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread