Trash to Treasure - 100 Year Old Hockey Puck!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box that was being thrown out from an old house and scored a ton of antiques including these...

The razor blades are cool but for me the hockey puck is the find of the day! It was made by the Canadian Rubber Company Of Montreal Limited which became the Dominion Rubber Company Limited in 1926. The previous owner even carved his initials in the side of the puck. Probably something that belongs in a museum!

Attachments

• razor.jpg
    razor.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 249
  • razor1.jpg
    razor1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 248
  • puck.jpg
    puck.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 435
  • puck1.jpg
    puck1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Upvote 20

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds man. Love the puck. I lived right next door to Paul Kariya in college. Then was buddy's with his little bro Stevie. Great guys and good Canadian boys. Love me some college hockey

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds man. Love the puck. I lived right next door to Paul Kariya in college. Then was buddy's with his little bro Stevie. Great guys and good Canadian boys. Love me some college hockey

I'd say digging buckles in detecting is like assists in hockey.... so I guess you never would have been much of a player. :laughing7:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet save buddy! Hard to wrap your head around the significance of that puck. I wonder if it was used in an important game back in the day...we will never know, but can dream!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say digging buckles in detecting is like assists in hockey.... so I guess you never would have been much of a player. :laughing7:

Ya know I called you a friend in my article and gave you props for cleaning advice and for nailing the variety. And the fact that you and I can give eachother so much crap confirms those statements lol. The people that get defensive and can't joke around or take a lil ribbing I just can't roll with bro. I'm glad you're such a good sport and take it as well as you deal it. You get lots of free passes since you helped me out with the tree coin bro. I owe you big and haven't forgotten man. And I WILL find a good 17th century coin sometime soon....maybe....I hope....possibly?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know I called you a friend in my article and gave you props for cleaning advice and for nailing the variety.

I didn't know that.... guess I'm famous now! ;) Did you say I first called it fake? :) BTW... that got cleared up for me well after the fact when you corrected me that it was not a hammered coin... which is why they look more round than I had expected.

The puck is off the boards, Abe picks it up at center ice and makes a quick pass to Vino.... Vino shoots, he scores!!!! ....And Abe just digs another old crusty part broken buckle.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know that.... guess I'm famous now! ;) Did you say I first called it fake? :) BTW... that got cleared up for me well after the fact when you corrected me that it was not a hammered coin... which is why they look more round than I had expected.

The puck is off the boards, Abe picks it up at center ice and makes a quick pass to Vino.... Vino shoots, he scores!!!! ....And Abe just digs another old crusty part broken buckle.

Lol the funniest part of the article is what Geirge told me before I went to that site. He told me that I might find some great old relics but I would never find any coins there cause they didn't use them. They only bartered lol. Next day tree coin and cob. I still laugh about that conversation

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I left the fake part out bro. I only put in the stuff that made you live up to the superhero image 8-)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sent a message off to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto looking for more information on the puck. I'll report back if/when I hear back.

19cbb

Nov 16, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For what it's worth, I sent an image of the puck to the twitter account of Welcome to Classic Auctions Inc. to see if they had information on the item and received the following:

Hi Jimmy,
From our Auction Manager: "Vintage c.1920s puck which was store sold, not used in pro leagues, value in this condition roughly about $50, we have handled quite a few and not very rare". Hope this helps. Cheers, Greg

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"From our Auction Manager: "Vintage c.1920s puck which was store sold, not used in pro leagues, value in this condition roughly about $50, we have handled quite a few and not very rare". Hope this helps."

$50 for is pretty good for a puck. Shame it's not worth thousands. :laughing7:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still waiting to hear from some other knowledgeable sources. I've Googled 1920s hockey puck and nothing I've found looks like this one...it appears to be older. Also, I've only found one other example, the one posted by cw0909, that is even close to it's appearance. Finally, there's the matter that the Canadian Rubber Company of Montreal Limited changed it's name to The Canadian Consolidated Rubber Company Ltd In 1906. Would they have continued to make pucks almost 15 years later under the old name?

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i think i read that wrong, the word THE was just officially added in the
trademark reg., in 1912
may need a more legal lingo person to read LOL

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i read that wrong, the word THE was just officially added in the
trademark reg., in 1912
may need a more legal lingo person to read LOL

Yeah, the word "The" had been used well before 1912... This is a pic of an advert from 1866...

I think the research and investigation is the best part of this hobby!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432307286.459427.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread