Trashy Area Opinion, smaller coil or Compadre??

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Silver U max, love it. I am working a very trashy area, everything from tabs, screw caps, to rusty iron nails. site was an old dump site in late 1800's. I been finding alot of great stuff. I have hit this are hard with a Garrett Ace 250 and did pretty well, them I hit it the last 2 days with my newly acquired Silver Umax and found even more. This thing was finding good targets under rusty nails. I was so amazed. My question is, what makes more sense? Getting a 4" coil for the Umax os spend just a little more and get a Compadre for the very trashy area. I know there are alot more targets there, but it is really trashy. The 4" coil would really get in between the trash but the compadre's coil is only slightly bigger and maybe one of my daughters could use the compadre when they are ready to hunt. Any thoughts??

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compadre + kids digging = more fun, so yes get the Padre. Who cares about the trash!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Either combination would work, but the 4" coil won't serve as an extra or backup if you end up needing one, so get the Compadre with the small coil.
luvsdux

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
luvsdux makes a lot of sense

OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A new thought. What about the Compadre with small coil vs the fisher f2 with 8" and 4" coil, only a few dollars more but would it perform as well as the Compadre?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A new thought. What about the Compadre with small coil vs the fisher f2 with 8" and 4" coil, only a few dollars more but would it perform as well as the Compadre?

Yes!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

Actually, perform as well in the trash, I guess I would have to say yes but add they will do it in slightly different ways because you have the added feature of that screen.
I have about 1000 hours with the F2, somewhere near half of that with the sniper coil, and hundreds and hundreds of hours with the Compadre and they are close but the Compadre is still a bit more sensitive.
The Compadre will do that double beep thing and find targets near or even leaning on big metal in sites like tot lots or next to fence poles or metal bench legs, the F2 can find stuff really close too but it won't double beep.
The Compadre finds this task totally effortless and this is why I have always recommended every person in this hobby have a Compadre in the arsenal even if it is only going to be used in this type of situation...but it sure has found me a ton of great stuff in super trashy sites, too, including gold.

On the other hand if this is going to be a choice for a brand new hunter there is not much better value on the market today than the F2 multiple coil packages.
Hunting in unbelievably heavy trash, an area that is my most targeted and favorite type of sites to hunt, the F2 and that sniper coil will shine and it has been my most potent weapon for doing just that especially after mounting that sniper coil.
It helped me find 10 gold targets in 2013 alone, and 13 gold pieces in the last 15 months after I mounted that sniper and 98% of them in totally packed high trash volume areas.
Not to mention chains of all kinds, tons of coins and a huge amount of other great targets.
Because of the superb rapid recovery and target separation abilities of the F2 hunting in iron isn't really a problem for the F2 either, many times I have recognized good high conductive targets in the vicinity of, right next to and even laying under iron because I have learned the Fisher language so well and that would be both the tones and the behavior and information I get off the screen.
The F2 screen info will tell you much...learn to read between the lines and understand what it is REALLY telling you the sky is the limit.

As far as the absolute most sensitive unit on the market the Compadre gets the nod, for hunters that want something that is so close to that sensitivity level it might be hard to measure for the normal person, and add in the ability to switch to other, larger coils to hunt more open, big and less trashy areas more efficiently and faster the F2 is the one because it is a bit more versitile.
Also, the small coil makes it a whole lot easier to learn the hobby in general and the F2 specifically if they start out with the sniper coil and just leave it on for awhile as they get to know the ins and outs of pinpointing and everything else we must learn before even thinking about going to that larger coil.
By the way, the 8" goes pretty deep, the 10" coil will beat it by at least 2 inches and will give you some clearer signals on the deep ones plus it seems to be bothered a little less by heavy EMI and that goes for the 4" sniper, too.
Buying the 10" coil in the 3 coil package or aftermarket sometime in the future the total package cost will actually be about the same, however, as cheap as that thing is.

Last edited:

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just stick with the Silver an dig it all. If you don't dig it all you will miss the good stuff still.

OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you digger27 for the insight, I was hoping to hear from someone that had both machines.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Digger27 gave about as good as advice as you can get. He is not brand loyal and has given a very good unbiased opinion with plenty of experience to back it.

I use a Silver uMax and found all my silver coins last year in the trashy areas using the stock 8" concentric coil. When you get to the trashy areas, just slow that swing speed way down and overlap all your passes. Check the target from two directions with slow swings. If there is silver in the trash it has a hard time hiding from the Silver uMax.

The best part about this is you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a great machine for the situation you are hunting in. The F2, Silver, and Compadre are all great detectors for this.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thank you digger27 for the insight, I was hoping to hear from someone that had both machines.

Have both, use both, love both.
The abilities each one has is pretty amazing considering the price, the amount of fun I have in using both kinds, (along with others), should be outlawed, and even though it is a different experience hunting with both kinds they both produce well...just as any detector will if you learn it.

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO, why learn a new machine (even though it is still a Tesoro) when you can just "sharpen" the one you already know and love. BUT there is allot to be said for having the kids along (if the kids are screaming "Mommy, I want to go metal detecting with Daddy again!") what Mom in their right mind could say no ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread