Travelling With A Detector

fountainofyouth

Jan 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Anyone know of any info on travelling with a Metal Detector. Some countries have strict rules on detecting therefore where can we find info pertaining to this. Is there any International Law that
one needs to abide on? Plz inform if there are any websites for reference on this.
Just like carrying a Laptop will it be possible to also carry a metal detector?
I am a Malaysian and intend to travel with my Metal Detector to Pakistan, Indonesia, Australia
and Sri Lanka. So pls advise if anyone can provide the relevant info.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airlines provide no useful information.

Pakistan, Thailand, Singapore and Australia are all O.K. Indonesia I just don't know. Sri Lanka is iffy because of the years of civil war. Mines are a danger.

I off to St.Lucia soon but can I find out re Dominica the next door island (not the Dominican Republic), no way. Some say yes and others no.

One thing to watch out for is LiPo batteries. Some airlines don't like them in detectors. No bother with mobiles, Kindles etc.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi My Fellow TH'ers
I would visit or write to the Embassy of each country explain to them your intent and ask them for the local rules, laws, and regulations and see what they say. I had more problems with Homeland Security than in Germany or Canada.
Good luck with all those countries.
Dave
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's probably no prohibitions on taking a detector in your luggage, no matter where you go in the world. That is, no more so than any rules regarding any electronic piece of equipment (ie.: a laptop, sound equipment, or whatever).

As for the second part of your question, there is a website that was put together many years ago, detailing the laws of all the European countries, in alphabetic order. Perhaps someone can find the link, and post it for you here. However, even that is sort of questionable, as to how accurate it is. There are some countries on there, for instance, that if you read it in the right light, it's downright discouraging (seem to prohibit it, etc..). Yet there are hobbyists in those countries, who don't have any problems. The reason for this is, those rules might only apply to federal land, or state land, etc... And there might not be anything stopping you from hunting a private farmer's field, with permission, to your heart's content. Or quite frankly, hunters in those countries are so far back in the woods, there's no one to care less anyhow. And the laws are meant for protected historic sites, and no one perhaps cares about fumble fingers losses on the beach. But I suppose if you were to ask enough bureaucrats in those countries "can I?" they would be obliged to look it up in their books, and tell you "no".

The same could be said of the USA: I have no doubt that if you asked enough border consulates, and lawyer types here "can I metal detect in the USA?" They too might say "no", because perhaps they're couching the answer in terms of federal sites (Shiloh, Bodie, etc...) or shipwreck salvor stuff, exporting gold bars across borders, ARPA, etc... But as we all know, so long as you're not a nuisance sneaking around obvious historic monuments, ... well ..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread