Treasure Coast Buried by Beach Renourishment

UDT

Jun 30, 2005
I have been hunting the Treasure Coast for over 5 years now, and since last year it has been pretty lame. All that sand that they dumped on those great beaches means that we have to wait for another hurricane (in due time, I promise) or search the wet sand where the ocean deposits her refuse. This is ok with me but alot of people don't own equipment that can do this, personally I am a Minelab user and don't mind the small low tide are and the drop offs, but for a newbie with an entry level machine there isn't much chance of finding any treasure. Bonsteel, Wabasso and Treasure Shores Park are pretty good for dry sanding it (clad, jewelry etc.), but if you don't live in the area or don't have the right equipment, don't make the trip. By the way when the hell are they going to open Sea Grape and Turtle Trail access? Better yet .....Why are they closed? Don't matter to me I can walk 1 1/2 miles south from Wabasso, might even find something on the way, but why should I? any info?

jimfnc

Greenie
Sep 12, 2004
By "drop offs" do you mean in the water? I assume you are aware that even touching the water, let alone to the drop offs is forbidden in the Mel Fisher lease areas, which is all the beaches you mentioned. The rules allow beach hunting from the toe of the dune (not including the dune) to the low tide mark, with the exception of state or federal parks (forbidden) or any area posted private property. There are also state & local laws about turtle nests, vegetation areas, etc. The lease areas extends 3,000 yard radius from the center of the wreck. (i hope i quoted all this correctly... let me know if i'm wrong)

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
state or federal parks you can hunt,you just cant use a metal detector,but you can use a sand sifter,i see the fisherman useing them all the time in the surf next to the beach,looking for sand crabs for bait,also the soft sugar sand on the beaches can be sifted as well,lots of work,but you never know what you may find.me an a friend designed a sifter that either 1 or 2 people can drag thru the sugar sand,it works well.

RRich

Greenie
Jul 29, 2005
Casselberry,Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Minelab Sov, Minelab XT 17000
spent the day down atTurtle Beach. found a few pennys. way to much sand dumped on the beach. It's a shame they are building so many homes on that side of the road. Pretty soon we won't be able to get to the beach. Theres a lot of talk about staying out of Fishers water, but if you stay at the waters edge and get your feet soaked be a stray wave, I don't think they much care. The Corrigan wreck is in that area. Won't be long before another storm comes our way to get rid of some of the sand.

OP
OP
U

UDT

Jun 30, 2005
I hope a storm comes along and takes every inch of sand that they dropped on the beach, including more. Is Turtle trail or Sea Grape access open yet?

stillhunting

Jun 22, 2005
Turtle Trail access was open the whole time I was there for 5 days. The Sea Grape access was not open at all although I checked it out from the beach side and there seem to be nothing wrong with it.

OP
OP
U

UDT

Jun 30, 2005
thanks I'll head down there this week end a couple of hours before low tide

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread