Treasure Coast Questions

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter lives in Cocoa Beach /Cape Canaveral and we visit at least a couple times a year. I've been researching the Treasure Coast areas like I'm sure every other Floridian and visitor has, that's into MDing. Assuming (I hate to use that word) I'm correct it appears to me that on any designated parks ( Sebastian Inlet to Fort Pierce Inlet) as well as all salvage lease areas surrounding any one of the numerous old wrecks along that area, metal detecting can only happen between the dune and low tide water mark. Am I even remotely correct in my assumption? (there's that word again). Main reason I'm asking is I currently run a BH 505with a DD coil and I'm completely aware of the issues that come from using this type of machine in wet sand and salt water as I have used it around Cocoa and the Cape. I'm considering purchasing a PI machine but need to understand whether I can indeed dig in the water throughout these areas. I'm guessing this question has been ask a thousand times and I have done a lot of searches on this subject. If there is an existing thread that will help I'd be satisfied to be directed to it and save this whole thing being hashed over again. Thanks.

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is my understanding as well. I have detected on the treasure coast and i believe i was being watched by the treasure salvage boats that were dredging as they were going back and forth keeping an eye on me. I was very careful not to let the coil touch the water....

rbdigger

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Sebastian, FL. I have done a ton or research on where you can and can't hunt in the water. The easiest answer, is stay out of the water on the treasure coast. There are a few places in-between the lease boundaries that you can legally hunt, but I would hate to have to go thru the hassle and expense of having to prove you were right and the salvage lease holders were wrong. If you go north or south of the treasure coast you can hunt in the water as long as you don't dig up an archaeological artifact. Don't even get me started on that one!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I live in Sebastian, FL. I have done a ton or research on where you can and can't hunt in the water. The easiest answer, is stay out of the water on the treasure coast. There are a few places in-between the lease boundaries that you can legally hunt, but I would hate to have to go thru the hassle and expense of having to prove you were right and the salvage lease holders were wrong. If you go north or south of the treasure coast you can hunt in the water as long as you don't dig up an archaeological artifact. Don't even get me started on that one!

Good advice!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a heads up. We have tens of thousands of sharks migrating through our waters right now so it might not hurt to pick up a dive knife just in case! The East coast beaches of Florida are sanded in and hasn't been giving up much if even anything.
If your coming to Florida anyway then go for it and good luck!
Don't forget to post your finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread