Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know everyone wanted to hear that we were finding gold bars all over the beaches here. But it was not to be. The storm did very little to the beaches here. Remember that the hurricanes of 2004 severely eroded the beaches, in many cases all the way back to the old dune. The county and state in its infinite wisdom and to appease all the rich condo and homeowners living on the beaches, decided to replenish the sand after the 2004 season. They claimed it was for tourism. But yet the county does not promote tourism. They want to keep Indian River County all to themselves. Most places now sport a nice wide but ugly filled-in beach. Not a nice white sandy beach, but this ugly gray pumped in muck. Most areas are filled with a 50-foot wide by about 10 foot deep pile of this mess.
Also all public beaches in IRC were off limits and closed to NON-residents, as in NON-beach residents. Just like in 2004. Once again sighting public safety as an excuse. But yet they allowed the beach resident to go down to “their” beach! They did not drive down the beach and tell the residents that it was unsafe and they could not pick up seashells or metal detect. And we all know about a certain police dept that in 2004 chased people off the beach so they could go down with their detectors and find stuff themselves. (FACT).

Ok, sorry I got a little side tracked…..
But now I will get down off my soapbox and get back to the storm,

Basically the storm was not strong enough to cut the beaches back to their post 2004 hurricane status. I put over 100 miles on my truck the day of the storm, checking the sites. There was NO significant erosion anywhere. I don’t know and did see any Spanish treasure, coins or other wise that was recovered. I think there may have been a possibility of some ½ or 1 reales washing up out of the troughs and unto the beaches, but certainly not any heavy 4 or 8 reales. There were NO cuts even close to the dunes in my area. We did work a few beaches that had cuts. But we only had hope of finding post 2004 jewelry drops. But that was not to be either. All we found was coins, fishing sinkers and junk!

Better Luck next time.

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When do you all want to get together? I am straight across the state, and could come over anytime, with enough notice. I always thought the big picnic cabana near the boat ramp at Sebastian Inlet State park would be a good meeting spot. That way we could break the ice, have some food, etc, and make a plan to check the beach out. I wouldnt mind doing it when the weather is blowing, like a cold front or just a big storm, that way I wouldnt miss out diving, and something might be exposed on the beach. Anyone?

big joe

Sep 17, 2006
We willl arrive in the area sometime on Thursday...Staying Friday and Sat. Any word on a good area to stay? I would rather stay at a beach that wasn't ruined by the imported sand.... Maybe Cocoa?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Big Joe the beaches were filled in with trucked in sand, as far North as Satillite Beach, maybe a little more, and down South past Vero maybe. Last time I was over there, I stayed in Indiatlantic and there were only 2 hotels open from hurricanes last year and year before. That was last year though. I would assume there would be more fixed up and open.

big joe

Sep 17, 2006
I'm definately headed that way. Looks like we are staying at Cocoa, I hear they may not have dumped the sand that far north? We are up for a Friday hunt at wherever...

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I dont think they went much further North than Satillite Beach. Cocoa gets a lot of people so maybe you will find some jewelry. Beaches with parking and lots of people are- behind the Ron Jon surf shop and towards the beach is parking. Go to that beach and hunt it good. Lots of folks go there so maybe you'll find something. Also there is a park down by the Jetty at the Canaveral inlet, where the cruise ships go out. Go to that beach too. Maybe Melborne beach which there are 2, 1 at 192 with boardwalk, and one South about a mile. Also several public beaches and accesses north of there. That should keep you busy! Good Luck, Steve. Oh also go to the cocoa pier, but the first one will get you there.

OP
OP
Mitch1FL

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I cant believe the number of reads (2490) since this was posted in September !!

big joe

Sep 17, 2006
Is the treasure coast just temporarily screwed? Sounds like it! Finally have a few days to head to the beach, and don't have clue where to go....

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My wife and I camped on the beach Saturday night to watch the Leonid meteor shower. We were about 1 mile south of Sebastain Inlet. Fairly secluded there and no city lights so the meteor show was fairly decent, although it was incredibly cold!

Sunday morning I detected down towards the Cabin wreck and did not find anything at all in 2 hours. There is still way too much sand on the beach.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gdaddyflex said:
My wife and I camped on the beach Saturday night to watch the Leonid meteor shower. We were about 1 mile south of Sebastain Inlet. Fairly secluded there and no city lights so the meteor show was fairly decent, although it was incredibly cold!

Sunday morning I detected down towards the Cabin wreck and did not find anything at all in 2 hours. There is still way too much sand on the beach.
Thanks for the update.I will be in Sebastian for Thanksgiving weekend.Might head up to Merritt island to the sis-in-laws house for the rest of the weekend.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure feels like winter has hit the Space and Treasure coast! Burrrrrr it's damn cold this morning, and the wind does not help the situation at all.
Unfortunately, they sanded in basically the entire Space & Treasure Coast last year, and some this year as well, from just a couple hundred yards south of the Canaveral harbor entrance (Jetty Park), south to Port St. Lucie. Since we have not had any major storms along this coast since the beach reclamation projects last year it looks bleak for old treasure. However, the beaches were all very active this last summer, and much of the crap they put on the beach has been covered with real sand by my good friend Mother Nature.
Give it some time, and all will return to it's natural state.

Tom

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah,that's why I figured I might go to Merritt Is.,2 acres of private property to detect.Happy B-day wreckdiver 1715!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I believe finds can still be made by those who persevere and when I find something I will post the pics! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
dirtfishindale, they might have pumped in the last beach fill, but the first time they filled the beaches South of Sebastian Inlet, about 5-6 years ago, they trucked in dirt, from somewhere North of here, and it had all kinds of crap in it, mainly small pieces of granite, which isnt found in Florida. There was also shredded aluminum cans pieces everywhere. That doesnt help finding 300 year old metal pieces! I wish they would never fill the beaches again, and just them be.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Steve
There is still a lot of can salad around Melbourne Beach, I was there today and was thinking of your post. Ya leave the beaches alone.

Dale

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hunted north of the cabin wreck for a few hours this week end, found only can shreds and safety seals.Wind was whipping. Convinced the only way to have access is to own property,so I checked Zillow for the housing prices up and down A1A, Ouch ! Did find clad and a ring at Cocoa beach 2 weeks ago near Ron Jon. Will try again later this week.

Keep you posted,
tek

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Well I saw pipes on Cocoa Beach. Thats all I can say. Cant miss that operation.

HH
Dale

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, they filled it about 5-6 or so years ago first just from Sebastian Inlet South to about South of Vero, and then later North up to about Satilite Beach or so and back to Vero again, this year again from Vero North to Cocoa beach up to the Canaveral inlet. I think I got that right. But I do know they first filled it about 5 or so years ago, and this last year definetly. The sand has been so built up, the beaches are or were much wider than ever before and taller. Right before they filled, Satalite beach had coquina rock at the dunes and water was lapping the dune, you couldnt go down the steps, and the same at Wabasso. But at the other places you could get down on the beach by the steps. Good hunting!, But after the 2004 hurricane season, they wouldnt let you on the beach for months. And filled it to top that! Hopefully it will go away. I heard from a salvor that the water was real dirty because of all the dirt coming out of the sand that was trucked on the beach this last year. When it would rain or get rough it would make it real murky. I am sure one of the treasure coast locals will give the gory details to you if you really want to hear it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions