Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure found at Wendy's restaraunt

Thought I would share a quick story about a neat find I experienced today.

I stopped in at Wendy's for a quick lunch on the road. I paid for my meal and when the cashier handed me my change I glanced down at it before I stuck it in my pocket. Three coins stood out, all war nicks.

I asked the cashier if she knew what they were and she said with a hint of sarcasm "yeah nickels". After I tried to explain she gave me the "move along look".

She then said that a man had just came in and used a bunch of them to pay for his meal. I asked her (since it wasn't a busy time of day) if she would sell me the rest of them. She agreed and I walked away with 40 war nicks dates varying.

You never know... Now it's not the find of the century but it sure did make my day. Keep your eyes open!! HH

Upvote 0

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a nice find
when it happens to me with any coin or anything, i ask if they have any more and try to buy
them with great success :icon_thumright:
thanks for sharing
HH

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I like it.

I hit up the guys and gals operating the "gut trucks" (mobile canteens) on base occasionally to see if they have anything interesting. You never know. My first silver coin was a war nickel that had been in my change jar since who knew when.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned out a tobacco shop's drawer of half dollars when the guy gave me a silver Kennedy half. Got 5 coins out of it ;) Keep an eye peeled. ya never know what you'll get. HAHH

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
Nice saves!!! I got 2 war nickels at the store a couple weeks ago. Made my day. Keep watching your change.

GOD BLESS !!!!!!!

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Around here, those lunch trucks are known as "roach coaches" --fine dining they are not.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Many don't realize there are still millions of silver and older coins still in circulation. I found over 100 circulated silvers myself, last year.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find to the finder !!!!! Sorry thought that some guy had to spend a roll or war nickels just to eat the .99 cent menu Says a lot about where we are heading as a society

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeremy76

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find to the finder !!!!! Sorry thought that some guy had to spend a roll or war nickels just to eat the .99 cent menu Says a lot about where we are heading as a society

I had that same thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread