Treasure Hound / SOV test

XT18000

May 26, 2008
I just finished a test using my new born GTI 2500 with the Treasure Hound two box loop
and my Sov. GT with a 15x12 SEF coil along with Black Widow Headphones. There is a LOT of
trash fill in this yard so I had a hard time finding a spot that had enough clear ground to make
sure there was no extra targets they would pick up. Unfortunately ( but maybe not ) I was
very close to the power lines that run across the back of the yard. These lines are about 20 ft.
up and 12 / 15 off to the side of where I ran the test and DID cause a great deal of interference
as you may well guess; but I think they also added a plus to the test by adding a factor that
may well be run into in the field ( keep this in mind ) so I tuned both detectors as best I could
and proceded with the test. As both detectors are set up for deep hunting I put a plank on saw
horses to give me some height to work with. The Black Widows were switched back and forth
as needed and as the Treasure Hound runs in all metal only, so the Sov. was also.
1ST. Test: A can 5" in dia.X 2 1/2 H with lid, this can is almost full of mixed coins,rings,etc.
T. H. = 32" Sov. = 30"
2ND. Test: Soda can standing upright
T.H. = 27 " Sov. = 39 / 40 " !!!
3RD. Test: Stainless Dog dish 11 1/2 " dia.
T.H. = 54" Sov. = 53 /54 " in P. P. mode
= 48" in tracking mode
4TH. Test: Cast Iron skillet 10 1/2 " dia. ( 2/3 full of melted lead from bullet casting )
T.H. 47 " Sov. = 33 " in P.P. mode
= 30 " in track mode
5TH. Test: LEAD bar 20"x4"x2 3/4 "
T.H. = 48 " Sov. = 41" in P.P. mode
= 30 " in tracking mode
6TH. Test: Water mains that run off the side of the street
T.H. = Found them with no trouble but there depth is unknown
Sov. = Did not find them

The Treasure Hound will go deeper but not by much; and as you can see the Sov. GT is a very
deep machine also. What the out come would be away from the power lines is anyones guess
but I think they both would go several inches better. This is very mild ground ( gumbo ) so
hotter ground will make some difference I am sure. Also keep in mind these were AIR test only
but still !!!!!!!!!!!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great test

I found about the same thing from general use, then I hit a snag. Went to some salt mud flats no 2 box just the large coils. The 2500 had me digging 2ft holes and nothing a friend with a sov would come by and tell me nothing is there, I would laugh say my machine just goes deeper and I would go back digging my holes to china. Finally the dude called me over told me what do you get here, I ran my coil across, nothing, again nothing, other way nothing. He then proceeded to pull a mini ball out at 4". This continued for the entire day. I was sick sick sick. I went home sold the GTI, and got a Sov. Recently I took another friend to this location and guess what machine he had. I knew what the outcome would be but I was hoping it to be wrong, I was hoping it was just my machine, or me as the user, but sure enough his GTI acted the same way. He would dig holes where I would pick up nada, and not pick up things I found, and the few things it did register it told him it was large and deep, and it was a button and at 3".
The GTI has its perks, and is a mighty machine if you don't have crazy soil to compete with. The other thing that killed me was the weight of it, oh and that annoying voice(you can turn it off and trust me will)...the :-Xlying b!+(# :-X you GTI users know what I am talking about.
but your test confirmed for me that even though a little deeper, I still will find most items, and trust me unless I have a backhoe I won't be digging 2ft.

OP
OP
X

XT18000

May 26, 2008
I was / am surprised when I ran those test but did come to I conclusion; I need a bigger digger!

Makes me wonder how they both would stack up against my SD2200d with it's 18 " mono?
Maybe some day I'll give it a go.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me know if you ever try that, I did dig something with the 2 box it was about 4ft..ok you get to a point when it has to be a chest right??? well it was an old spoke wheel, old and cool, but after hours for 2 days digging I was disappointed. But I heard a better one, some guy on a ranch around here who bought my 2 box took it out because there was suppose to be treasure there, and he located a spot, even ended up getting bobcat digger and uncovered an old stove. The ranch owners later informed him that they had dumped it out there and buried it some years ago.

moral of story if hunting on other peoples property: ask them if they ever had a dump area they filled in. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread