Treasure Hunt: The Lost Mercury Capsule Hatches

Nov 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1607713 Apparently there are at least still 2 hatches still sitting on the bottom of the ocean. My guess is that they would be worth at least something to the right collector.

Mercury hatch design differences (MR-3) - collectSPACE: Messages

Shepards and Grissoms Capsule Hatches still unaccounted for.

View attachment 1607813

Shepard pulled the handle mounted on the interior of his "mechanical" hatch and, as planned, allowed it to drop into the ocean.Grissom's hatch of course is on the bottom near the recovery site of his spacecraft.
On board the destroyer Noa, Glenn began the process of exiting through the top hatch, but decided instead to blow his hatch. Schirra and Cooper blew their hatches while on board their recovery carriers.
Carpenter exited via the top hatch and his hatch remained in place on the spacecraft.
Of the six hatches, two are on the bottom of the Atlantic, and two are in NASA's custody.
I believe only two mechanical hatches actually flew – on Ham and Shepard's flights. Hams may be the only remaining mechanical hatch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashdown

Last edited:

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never understood why Bezos after finding and recovering Liberty Bell 7, didnt spend the time necessary to find and recover the hatch as well, especially since the good chance it might clear up the controversy of what actually happened that day, and actually prove Gus was right. The Hatch just Blew.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why werent the capsules still very hot after entering the atmoshpere? I always wondered why there wasnt a puff of steam on splashdown. Would be a cool find.

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions