Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was an old conservative Mennonite man that lived a couple miles down the road from where I grew up, that had a very nice artifact collection.

I never saw it, but my Dad did, and said he had some very impressive points, dovetails, etc. He never had any children and worked at a sawmill most of his life. He walked to work, a mile or so and hunted points on his way to and from work.

This was in the 1940's and 50's. Well in the mid 60's he dies, and his widow takes his boxes and boxes of beautiful "rocks" and dumps them over the fence where she throws her trash.

My uncle's friend married her niece, and she found out he liked "purty rocks" and told him the story.

She couldn't remember exactly where in the pasture field she dumped them. My Uncle and his friend looked but never found them.

Some day, I'm gonna get my shovel........

Upvote 0

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
There was an old conservative Mennonite man that lived a couple miles down the road from where I grew up, that had a very nice artifact collection.

I never saw it, but my Dad did, and said he had some very impressive points, dovetails, etc. He never had any children and worked at a sawmill most of his life. He walked to work, a mile or so and hunted points on his way to and from work.

This was in the 1940's and 50's. Well in the mid 60's he dies, and his widow takes his boxes and boxes of beautiful "rocks" and dumps them over the fence where she throws her trash.

My uncle's friend married her niece, and she found out he liked "purty rocks" and told him the story.

She couldn't remember exactly where in the pasture field she dumped them. My Uncle and his friend looked but never found them.

Some day, I'm gonna get my shovel........

i hope you can locate them

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaahhhrr..earth to earth. Try down from the prevailing wind in the summer.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I know of a similar story. Old house burnt down and boxes of points were in it. The points were never recovered. The foundation of the house still remains. I never have dug around it. I figure if they could not find them directly after the fire, their is no need for me to look. I hate stories like that.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe look up old property records from the time and see if his name appears on any. Most city / county's have them on line or it might take a trip to the courthouse. Good luck! I'd love to read that story.

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe look up old property records from the time and see if his name appears on any. Most city / county's have them on line or it might take a trip to the courthouse. Good luck! I'd love to read that story.
I know the property, the field is small, maybe 2 acres, on a hillside, but you can't just dig holes all over the field. A probe won't work, the field sits on a large gravel deposit.......flint detector anyone?

I've driven past this little house since I heard the story,always wondering where they are, and how I could find them, but that's as far as I've got.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet it wouldn't be a bad idea to walk the property with a metal detector. if they went in a trash pile I'm sure you could find the spot by finding bits and pieces of metal that went out with the trash. Where you find a lot of trash metal in one spot you will most likely find the points.

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet it wouldn't be a bad idea to walk the property with a metal detector. if they went in a trash pile I'm sure you could find the spot by finding bits and pieces of metal that went out with the trash. Where you find a lot of trash metal in one spot you will most likely find the points.

Good advice!:icon_thumright:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:

My exact thoughts. However, it was probably just a spot where she dumped her "slop bucket". In that case, no medal. They are lost! Simple as that.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC field hunter said:
My exact thoughts. However, it was probably just a spot where she dumped her "slop bucket". In that case, no medal. They are lost! Simple as that.

If that is the case I would seriously determine the provailing wind direction in the summer.. if its from the south check the north side of the property...nobody would want to have their house downwind from rotting slop in the summer heat. There is probably still evidence of a pile.. or a worn path leading to the spot.. or even a lot of ash in that spot as most people burned their trash back then.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
If that is the case I would seriously determine the provailing wind direction in the summer.. if its from the south check the north side of the property...nobody would want to have their house downwind from rotting slop in the summer heat. There is probably still evidence of a pile.. or a worn path leading to the spot.. or even a lot of ash in that spot as most people burned their trash back then.

She said they were Mennonite. They would probably have little metal trash or slops. Slops would have been used to feed livestock. No metal because they buy little food from grocery stores. That would cut out metal cans. Mennonite people probably live a sufficient low waste life. Looks like the fence line would leave it's ghost. Evidence of post holes or pieces of wire. Metal detector could not hurt.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm only posting Ideas..and I have also spent alot of time in Lancaster Pennsylvania. I knew several Amish Land owners. I hunted on their property. They had a lot of iron trash. some were very accomplished blacksmiths. everything from worn out horseshoes.. broken lanterns.. and lots and lots of cut nails were in there trash piles. I was just tossing out some ideas because I knew a little something I thought may help. there is almost always a lot of ash where they throw their trash. some people spend a lot of time looking for the things that I just mentioned to locate old glass bottles and other relics from that time. It almost sounds like you want them to stay lost.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Mennonite ancestry. And from what I know, you should look for a coulee or small ravine out behind the house in the pasture or woods. This would br the most possible spot for a dump site. Hope this may help.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
I'm only posting Ideas..and I have also spent alot of time in Lancaster Pennsylvania. I knew several Amish Land owners. I hunted on their property. They had a lot of iron trash. some were very accomplished blacksmiths. everything from worn out horseshoes.. broken lanterns.. and lots and lots of cut nails were in there trash piles. I was just tossing out some ideas because I knew a little something I thought may help. there is almost always a lot of ash where they throw their trash. some people spend a lot of time looking for the things that I just mentioned to locate old glass bottles and other relics from that time. It almost sounds like you want them to stay lost.

Not that. I just don't want anyone's hopes to get up. I hate to see disappointment. After my last post, I thought about the cut nails that they make. I was only tossing ideas out as well. I would love to see those points recovered. I would also like to see Black Beards treasure recovered as well. See what I'm getting at?

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good ideas, Gator Boy, and everyone else.

I have sat on this one for a long time, and I enjoy thinking about it every time I drive by.

It's right beside a fairly busy road, anything you do there will draw lots of attention.

Some day the time will be right, new fence being built, or other construction that tears up the little pasture, and I will get in there and make a search.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belive you will. I also hope I get to see them..best of luck and thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread