Treasure Hunter Brand metal Detectors

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I have been doing some checking around on the Treasure Hunter metal detectors, mainly the XJ9 and 3030 models.

The company website does not have buyer comments, but then neither does garretts of whites. No contact phone number just an email.

I found a seller on ebay that has sold 100s of these detectors and I went through thier feedback. Out of those feedback they had a very high amount of positve feedback. However none of them gave any feedback on how the detectors performed, just shipping and seller ability. Also I sent the buyer 2 questions on different days with no response. I really wanted to see some reviews other than the one on lost treasure online.

To make it short, I was turned off by the website due to lack of info on this relatively new company. I was turned off by the ebay seller due to lack of customer response and lack of communication. My opinion of these detectors, however based on very little knowlege of the detectors themselves is very poor. I will most definitely buy a high end brand.

mike

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to know, why they don't say where they are made. I see no info. I wonder If their made In China & afraid of People finding out. Personally I Don't care where there made, ?IF their made Well & work Well, Just Wonder WHY they don't want to tell anyone. I kind of think, that's to avoid any WARRANTY

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
here is a list of features from an ebay auction.

ALL NEW expert level detector

Three operation modes: all metal (to detect all kinds of metal), disc (to discriminate metal type), notch (to eliminate some objects)

Most powerful detector by Treasure Hunter

Selectable for target detection/rejection

Lightweight for ease of use

Z-100 18-bit computer

Programmable sensitivity adjustment

Auto ground balancing

1/8 inch headphone jack

Touch-pad control panel

Target image indication with large LCD

LCD can display the depth of the target, the sensitivity, disc/notch, metal type

3 distinctive audible tones for different metals

Auto low battery indication

Telescopic handle new comfort design

Waterproof 8" coil

Professional treasure hunting detector

Uses 2-9V batteries (not included)

5-Year Limited Warranty held by dealer

mike

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I know there are some on this forum that say if it finds good targets and provides you with fun it is a good detector. Personally I want to be sure I am getting the best product for my money. I have about $200 to spend to buy a new detector. I would much rather buy a new Garrett ace 250 or whites prizm II than buy a detector that "might" be higer quality, I just don't want to use my $200 gambling on that.

mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't blame you Mike. Name Brands Are Always the Best way to go

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Whites web site does have customer stories. Go to their web site and near the top of the page click on "customer stories". Don't know about Garrets. My advice is to stick with a well known brand detector. Buy from a local dealer if it's possible and get a decent set of headphones.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL Tampapi , THANKS ! Not that I'd ever Trade From Minelab, But I'll be looking Forward to Seeing if These detectors, Hold Up to the Name Brands.

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I finally got a reply from them. here it is.

Dear chapmansltplus.com,
>
> do these detectors really work as described? I just
> don't want to buy
> something that is no good to me.
>
>
> HELLO, A METAL DETECTOR IS NOT AN X RAY MACHINE.
> THIS DETECTOR HAS A LCD
> AND A SOUND READ OUT TO HELP THE DETECTORIST MAKE
> EDUCATED GUESSES TO DIG OR
> NOT TO DIG. METAL DETECTING IS NOT AN EXACT
> SCIENCE, IT IS LABOR (DIGGING ETC)
> BUT FOR SOME IT IS A LABOR OF LOVE. YOU WILL DIG
> AND FIND TRASH SOMETIMES,
> AS I SAID IT IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE.
>
> THAT IS A LODED QESTION, IT WOULD DEPEND ON IF YOU
> UNDERSTAND METAL
> DETECTING. SOME PEOPLE ARE FAMILAR WITH METAL
> DETECTING, FOR THEM I WOULD SAY YES,
> SOME PEOPLE THINK YOU WALK OUTSIDE AND THROW THE
> METAL DETECTOR ON THE GROUND
> AND GOLD COMES UP, THAT IS NOT THE CASE.
>
I simply replied and politely told them that they lost a potential sale with a reply like that.

mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, an Absolutely HONEST ANSWER ! Personally I'm Impressed by his Honesty.? 8) Do you think any of the Name Brand Dealers would Tell you That ?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Never heard of an 18 bit microprocessor of any kind. Microproceesors are named/numbered according to the number of address lines they use, basically. Since these lines and the chip use binary data they have always been defined in multiples of four. The early home computers being run by 8 bit microprocessors (XT) then 16 bit (AT) then 32 and 64 bit machines. Same goes for microcontrollers.

Something's amiss there!

C

czman

Better safe than sorry mike...buy a name brand and enjoy your machine...HH...Don

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
went to the whites dealer and checked out the prizms. I personally like the BH detectors more. I think I am going to get the Garrett Ace 250.

mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best Choice in MY opinion

J

Jim Cal

I will echo what others have said in response to your question. I know Garrett, White's, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Tesoro and other major brands of detectors work the way they should. What happens when you buy an off brand and need parts or service? I would pick the most detector I could afford from a major manufacturer and have the assurance that I received my moneys worth. A toy detector will only discourage the owner and often be such a disappointment the user will quit the hobby. If you have a local dealer go and test a variety of detectors and find out which one is right for you in terms of features and budget. Good luck! Jim Cal

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
My first detector was a 3030, I've found lots of clad and a couple cheapy rings with it. I recently got a Spectrum XLT and feel that I have a "real" detector now but I'll hang on to my Treasure Hunter MD 3030.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally know nothing about the Treasure Hunter line, but what I have read about them has mostly been negative. Stick with the Whites, Garrett, Bounty Hunter, Fisher Tesoro or Minelab names. I have been hunting with a BH Pioneer 101, and found the machine to be what it claims to be. Also, there customer service was excellent when I had to order parts. I just ordered a Garrett ACE250 after a few months of research, and based on all the feedback from here and other forums, it seems to be the best value out there. There is a dealer one eBay out of San Jose, CA listing them for $199.00 with free shipping, and some other freebie accessories thrown in. Hs feedback is 100%, and so far, he has been very responsive to my questions and shipped the unit the day after I ordered it and emailed me a UPS tracking number right away. Can't go wrong with the ACE250. I just can't wait for it to get here, and for the #$#@ snow to melt!! Good luck with your purchase and your finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions