maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When someone ask you, "What do you do", do you tell them your a treasure hunter or what?
Just wondering what we can call ourselves. If you tell someone your a treasure hunter, the first thing they ask is "how much have you found", or " What treasures have you found". Most of us would have to say, "Nothing yet". So, are we treasure hunters, or is there a better description of what we do? Some of us are just "coin shooters", and that is a good description, but what about most of us here, that actually do research and spend a lot of time, searching for treasures or caches, or even spending time in the parks, honing our skills and waiting for the Big one to come along?

Any ideas?

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
I reckon it depends on how many questions you feel like answering.

If you feel like explaining all about the ends and outs of research and site selection as well as everything you've ever found, and how all your equipment works then "Treasure Hunter" fits the bill.

If not, "Detectorist" will work fine.

No matter what you tell them, the majority of folks already have their mind made up concerning you and what you're doing.

I just tell most folks that I'm a detectorist and looking for whatever I can find under the grass. Dirt Fisherman would also be a good term because while we don't throw any back, we definitely never
know what we'll catch!

Just remember that "treasure" is a relative term that means something different to just about anyone you care to ask.

Sky Pilot

mollyme123

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Nashvile, TN
I'm rather new to treasure hunting (and the forum) so maybe I am too new/naive to answer this question. But it seems to me that being a "hunter" doesn't imply "finds" it just implies that our eyes are open for them. So personally, while I know the asker doesn't think much of me because I have "struck it rich", I'm excited about the potential finds in my future!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Howdy Mollyme, Sky Pilot here, from Tellico Plains!

No problem with that, it's just that lots of times it can complicate things when nosy people think that you may find something of value.

Some folks just want to rain on our parade, if you know what I mean!

Sky Pilot

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
I usually hunt where I can avoid people . I'm tired of answering questions , being free entertainment or being bothered by smart -ass brat's ( whose parents are usually there and not taking care or reprimanding their kids ) .I've given this matter a bit of thought and if I should be cornered in the future I will say "I just got this detector as a gift and I am just learning how to use it and no I don't know how much it cost but I would guess it's at least $50.00" . No, you can't try it out .
I don't get much time to detect anymore due to a lot of family duties I have so every minute is special to me .
I would consider myself "just another guy who likes to find stuff" , "Detectorist" maybe , "treasure Hunter" a bit of a lofty title to fit me in my opinion .I do , however , enjoy talking to other folks who detect and love it as much as I do .
Not everyone who has asked me a question has been a drag , but the pests have been the majority . ::)

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Prospector
maipenrai said:
When someone ask you, "What do you do", do you tell them your a treasure hunter or what?
Just wondering what we can call ourselves. If you tell someone your a treasure hunter, the first thing they ask is "how much have you found", or " What treasures have you found". Most of us would have to say, "Nothing yet". So, are we treasure hunters, or is there a better description of what we do? Some of us are just "coin shooters", and that is a good description, but what about most of us here, that actually do research and spend a lot of time, searching for treasures or caches, or even spending time in the parks, honing our skills and waiting for the Big one to come along?

Any ideas?

Treasure "Hunter" is good, if it ever works out they can call me a Treasure "Finder" or Treasure "Spender" :laughing9:
Mileaway :icon_pirat:

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care to be interrupted either... but I don't mind the questions when they come because it could lead to more hunting sites... where I am from people are just curious but nice I have never has a problem with onlookers... maybe a few smart-a$$ed comments but they are usually from people driving by.

now with that being said I try to keep is as uninteresting as possible... just for the fact most of the time it is... but we all know what we can find and I am really not one wanting to clue others into what we "can" find... so I usually tell them I am hunting for coins and say "ya know pennies and dimes and nickels" that is because no one puts any values on small change now days but our kind. That pretty much fixes their curiosities... at least 95% of the time... the other 5%... I deal with those differently... just depends on the situation.

so in short I am a COIN HUNTER... and I leave it at that.

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread