Treasure hunters and human remains

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Guess the moderator didn't care for the way the topic was going.

Morning Oro: I'll hope you'll disregard promises of the past. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I don't know the answer, but it's another side of things.

I've never detected a graveyard, though I do enjoy going to old ones and reading the headstones, generally just wandering around in them. I like it pretty well and back in the 1970s was putting together a catalog of them with the intention of submitting it to a publisher as a proposal for publication. Someone beat me to the punch and a book called, Cemetaries in Texas or some similar title was in print before I ever submitted a manuscript.

But during that time I went to the graveyard in Round Rock, Texas where Sam Bass is buried. The old parts of the cemetary were in a state of advanced neglect and because of the limestone bedrock many of the graves were above-ground. One of the graves had someone name Charlie Somebody from the 1880s in it and the rocks composing the walls of the vault had crumbled away leaving a dark hole going inside about 7-8 inches in diameter.

A guy named Bruce Jean was a running buddy at the time and went with me to a number of the cemetaries, including several times to that one. Bruce was intrigued by the hole opening into Charlie's grave, went back to the vehicle for a flashlight so's to get a better look. There was a boot with a skeletal leg visible through the hole.

Bruce came over and told me, dragged me back over to look through the hole with the flashlight, and I did, saw the boot with the lower leg, and my interest was satisfied. But after I handed him back the flashlight Bruce reached through the hole, evidently to feel around. I suppose it made him nervous because within thirty-second he withdrew his arm and came to join me walking away.

I saw him a couple of days later and he was covered head-to-foot with an angry, painful rash similar to poison ivy he said started on the lower arm he'd stuck through the hole in the vault-wall. The rash stayed with him a couple of weeks and everyone who knew him came to call it, "Charlie's Revenge".

I'm not inclined one way or the other to have an opinion about the metaphysical side of human carcasses, but it's a coincidence I sort of wish happened more often. I think if the corpses would learn metaphysical karate we'd see a lot less of that sort of thing.

I don't report things to the authorities for the most part and don't consider it my role in life to do so. It's another of those areas where I'm not in agreement with a lot of other people, and I'm not bothered by the fact [though frequently they are].

I do appreciate your post and sharing your experience.

Gracias,
Jack

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Highmountain said:
... I've never detected a graveyard, though I do enjoy going to old ones and reading the headstones, generally just wandering around in them. ...
Gracias,
Jack

Damn, went to Hillsboro yesterday for an historical tour and missed this thread altogether. Among other more interesting places, we toured the weekend cottage of the head foreman of the Ladder Ranch. If he'd been there, I might have asked him a pointed question or two to see if I could get a response. Oh, well ...

Re graveyards: for you 'KGC' afficionados, cemeteries are a prime source of information helping to point the way to additional clues and ultimately, presumably, caches. A number of 'information' graves are empty below, but the headstone above carries important info: names (people, places) are flags; dates can be distances/bearings; etc. Some headstones are ornate, some are hand-scratched rocks. Sometimes a number of empty graves with the proper coding form a pattern that is somehow significent. I didn't swallow this theory until it was demonstrated to me in both the Masonic cemetery in Silver City and the old graveyard in Georgetown, NM with undeniable results. No recovery of valuables, mind you, (I don't believe these genius-created codes have been solved by anyone yet) but a precise hop-scotch to the next carvings. Interesting stuff - the premise of course is that the headstone clues are permanent.

WilliamTheFinder

May 9, 2008
And, of course, finding an old cemetary is something of a treasure in and of itself...you'd be suprised how many there are out there that people just forgot about. My Aunt's been hunting an old one in missouri for some time now.

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Springfield said:
Highmountain said:
... I've never detected a graveyard, though I do enjoy going to old ones and reading the headstones, generally just wandering around in them. ...
Gracias,
Jack

Damn, went to Hillsboro yesterday for an historical tour and missed this thread altogether. Among other more interesting places, we toured the weekend cottage of the head foreman of the Ladder Ranch. If he'd been there, I might have asked him a pointed question or two to see if I could get a response. Oh, well ...

Re graveyards: for you 'KGC' afficionados, cemeteries are a prime source of information helping to point the way to additional clues and ultimately, presumably, caches. A number of 'information' graves are empty below, but the headstone above carries important info: names (people, places) are flags; dates can be distances/bearings; etc. Some headstones are ornate, some are hand-scratched rocks. Sometimes a number of empty graves with the proper coding form a pattern that is somehow significent. I didn't swallow this theory until it was demonstrated to me in both the Masonic cemetery in Silver City and the old graveyard in Georgetown, NM with undeniable results. No recovery of valuables, mind you, (I don't believe these genius-created codes have been solved by anyone yet) but a precise hop-scotch to the next carvings. Interesting stuff - the premise of course is that the headstone clues are permanent.

Springfield: Rumor down that way has it that TT has lost the Ladder and five other of his large ranch holdings. I don't know whether it's true, but if it is, and I sincerely hope it is, I'm looking forward to watching access developments. Lousy place for running cows, and there are only a couple of tracts of patented land in there, so it might be interesting to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the post. I still haven't drifted into the KGC side of things, but I might yet.

Gracias,
Jack

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
SWR said:
Springfield said:
SWR said:
Just a quick question here. Without physically digging…how would you know the grave below is empty? ???

GPR

Thanks for your responce. I'll have to make a note in my files that a GPR will penetrate a wooden casket or other container.

Between state-of-art magnetometers and GPR underground doesn't hold many secrets anymore. Seemed a miracle the first time I saw a fisherman sonar that would show where the fish were hiding, but I'd have never thought they'd carry it to this extreme and rob us of our mysteries so thoroughly.

Once they get it all mapped out, gridded and surveyed I'd guess the days of treasure-hunting wil be numbered fairly short, except for old schoolyards and MDing for coins and old toys.

Mixed blessing.

Jack

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
SWR said:
Thanks for your responce. I'll have to make a note in my files that a GPR will penetrate a wooden casket or other container.

I don't know if that's the case or not, but a GPR will tell you if there is a box there, or if the ground is undisturbed.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Highmountain said:
... Once they get it all mapped out, gridded and surveyed I'd guess the days of treasure-hunting wil be numbered fairly short, except for old schoolyards and MDing for coins and old toys.

Mixed blessing.

Jack

Still quite a thrill for me to find a nice arrowhead or an unknown NA dwelling up in the mountains somewhere. This high-tech prospecting from satellites, etc. only further reinforces the lack of humaness in our society. Why walk up the canyon with a gold pan (even a plastic one) when you can put your feet up, light a cigar, pour a cognac and let the computer find the mineral for the shareholders? A prospector needs the thrill of the hunt. Betting on a fixed race doesn't cut it.

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Springfield said:
Highmountain said:
... Once they get it all mapped out, gridded and surveyed I'd guess the days of treasure-hunting wil be numbered fairly short, except for old schoolyards and MDing for coins and old toys.

Mixed blessing.

Jack

Still quite a thrill for me to find a nice arrowhead or an unknown NA dwelling up in the mountains somewhere. This high-tech prospecting from satellites, etc. only further reinforces the lack of humaness in our society. Why walk up the canyon with a gold pan (even a plastic one) when you can put your feet up, light a cigar, pour a cognac and let the computer find the mineral for the shareholders? A prospector needs the thrill of the hunt. Betting on a fixed race doesn't cut it.

True, but there are still a few places I'd surely like to go over with a drag magnetometer and GRF if I could afford one of each. Places where there'd be just too much digging for one man combined with too little chance there'd be anything of interest to justify it.

I'd be willing to dehumanize things to the extent of hauling those to some places that are fairly non-humanized to begin with.

Jack

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Highmountain said:
.... True, but there are still a few places I'd surely like to go over with a drag magnetometer and GRF if I could afford one of each. Places where there'd be just too much digging for one man combined with too little chance there'd be anything of interest to justify it.
I'd be willing to dehumanize things to the extent of hauling those to some places that are fairly non-humanized to begin with.
Jack

Oh, absolutely - technology at the end of the chase is a different story. Nothing wrong with a backhoe either. The jackass prospectors from 150 years ago would have killed for a 4" dredge or an ATV.

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
scubasalvor said:
Go to the CACHE HUNTING thread and click on the "YAMAHITA" subject and you will see a picture of hundreds of human bones excavated by the Philippinos. I don't know what the looney moderators of this forum are thinking of. Its topic #2382.

Scubasalvor: I haven't seen it. Can't think why I'd want to, since I don't treasure-hunt outside the US. I'm asking myself why you'd think a person would deliberately go to a link to look at a lot of human bones.

I'd be obliged if you'd explain yourself.

Jack

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Whoops what happened? Something went too far? Did I stupidly admit to committing a crime in a post? If so, I appreciate the prompt removal. :o ::) ;D I think I am "safe" anyway thanks to the statute of limitations, but would sure not ever go detecting in any cemetary, as I know for a fact that you cannot trust that the actual graves are correctly marked by the headstones. This is a VERY touchy subject for a lot of folks, so I should not be surprised if the whole thread gets eliminated. It has been interesting, to say the least!
Oroblanco

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like you said, this is a touchy subject. Why did this whole thread disappear earlier? The moderators have a policy of not posting pictures of human remains but I guess they missed that one!

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Oroblanco said:
Whoops what happened? Something went too far? Did I stupidly admit to committing a crime in a post? If so, I appreciate the prompt removal. :o ::) ;D I think I am "safe" anyway thanks to the statute of limitations, but would sure not ever go detecting in any cemetary, as I know for a fact that you cannot trust that the actual graves are correctly marked by the headstones. This is a VERY touchy subject for a lot of folks, so I should not be surprised if the whole thread gets eliminated. It has been interesting, to say the least!
Oroblanco

Morning to you Oro:

I don't know which characteristic of the thread got it eliminated. I'm sorry I didn't copy paste it into notes before it was removed.

I 'spect so it's sensitive to a lot of people.

Thanks providing remarks on the other one that vanished as well as this one.

Jack

white dove

Apr 16, 2007
Tennessee
Bible says not to disturb the dead!

Did you know that the dead in graveyards talk at night?

Let me tell you what a friend of mine did one time and this is perfectly legal to do ( i think?? ) but anyhow, my friend went to an old graveyard ( you know the kind that has graves from 1700s and big rocks on top, like rock coffins out on the top of the ground ) well he goes there and after seeing a show on sci-fi about ghosts decides he is going to get him one on tape, well it worked! he left a tape recorder at the graveyard then went back the next day to get it. Lordy i tell you it is not one bit quiet in the graveyard at night time.

you want to hear the dead speak? hear mumblings, etc put you a tape recorder in a cemetary at night, you will soon see.

and believe me, what you will hear on that tape will scare the heck out of you!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Thank you for the tip - I have heard of it and have seen it on television, and will give it a try some time. A good scare is good for you now and then!
Oroblanco

white dove

Apr 16, 2007
Tennessee
Oroblanco said:
Thank you for the tip - I have heard of it and have seen it on television, and will give it a try some time. A good scare is good for you now and then!
Oroblanco

Your welcome.

Why in the World would you want to hear that and get scared for???? lol... After you hear it i do not think you would want to hear it again :icon_scratch:

It sounds too spooky, it will make your hairs stand on your head if you have any, i tell you that much..

you know, i have known of a few who have even went to graveyards and took photos and got some pretty misty things, like orbs and stuff.., heck its all over the internet where people would take photos of graveyards and end up with weird things..

tell you what i thought about doing one time but then chickened out... i thought about taking an oujiie board ( some call them witch boards lol ) out to a graveyard and trying that but having the board fly off the table on me and my niece one night i changed my mind and chickened out but that was before i got saved and all. now though i would not even attempt it.. way to afraid ( not of any ghost but afraid of GOD )

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Well I have a rather twisted sense of humor! To be honest, I grew up in a VERY haunted house, and have had a number of "incidents" over the years so it takes quite a bit to actually and really "scare" me. Besides, perhaps those departed souls really do have something to say?!

Good luck and good hunting, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
your friend,
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread