TREASURE HUNTING 201

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
For this semester we recommend the following books in any order you find them.
WAYBILLS TO ELDORADO by Karl von Mueller - cover states volume 1 of 5 but there was only one due to his robbery, fire and death
THE RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON by Classon - the great thing about this book is that you can get it for as cheap as a dollar or as much as hundreds of dollars and if you actually do it it's worth every penny you spent no matter how much it costs you.
ACRES OF DIAMONDS - I forget the author but there is only one and multiple printings. Available cheap or expensive same text you choose.
This is a possible that I have not read yet BONANZA HUNTER'S HANDBOOK by H. Glenn Carson. If this is about prospecting I have no opinion. If it is about cache hunting it should be very good. Available from carson's site WaybillstoAdventure no doubt.?
Some sources for finding these books are half.com; bookfinder.com (don't add an "s"); addall.com, amazon.com. Hang in there. There will probably be only one more recommended reading list posted by me. exanimo, ss

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Siegfried

What happened with Karl von Mueller, I did not hear the story. I enjoyed his #6 and 7 Treasure hunters books. Thanks for the book leads!

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Karl von Mueller's home was robbed, his library and files were rifled and then the perps set fire to the place. I heard he died less than a year later. Great thanks for the man who singlehandedly made more treasure hunter millionaires than any other. No doubt the perps are still around and will eventually read this. I hope I get the chance to meet them some day. They will not die well. exanimo, ss

Treasure Master

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2004
The Mother Lode Gold Country of California
Detector(s) used
My Fully Loaded "Warbag" Of Books, Maps, Equipment and Supplies For My Well-Researched Lost Treasure Hunting Adventure Projects, Consists Of The Following Metal Detectors Used Extensively In The Field: [1.] White's MXT TRACKER E-SERIES [2.] GARRETT ACE 250 [3.] GARRETT MASTER HUNTER 7 A•D•S VLF/TR DEEPSEEKER [4.] SPARTAN 175 BFO (Built By Garrett Electronics Inc. For Karl von Mueller's "Exanimo Establishment" Of Segundo, CO) [5.] THE ACHIEVER III VLF/TR (Built By Garrett Electronics, Inc. For Gene Ballinger's "In The Step's Of The Treasure Hunter" NEWSpaper Of Mule Creek, NM) [6.] GARRETT Hand-Held POCKET SCANNER PERSONAL CHECKMATE [7.] White's GOLD MASTER 66-TR/D 4B, SERIES II [8.] White's BUCCANEER BFO
Gladyce M. Miller (Karl's wife. Glady as he called her) told me over the phone when I spoke to her shortly after Karl's death (heart attack), that what really killed Karl was the horrible destruction of everything these SOB's did to the place. The old "EXANIMO ESTABLISHMENT" building was burned to the ground. Gladyce told me that Karl wept when he saw that everything was gone, and he never got over it.

Howdy, Siegfried, ol' buddy! It's me, Alan. ;-)

:)

J

Jim Cal

Karl was probably the most instrumental factor in my entry into the hobby. I read both of his Treasure Hunters Manuals and everthing else I could get my hands on that was written by him. I remember the deep sorrow I felt when I heard about his death but until this forum didn't know about the looting and fire at his establishment. I wish there were some way to commerate his contributions to the Treasure Hunting Fraternity. Has anyone ever written a book about Karl? Jim Cal

Treasure Master

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2004
Detector(s) used
My Fully Loaded "Warbag" Of Books, Maps, Equipment and Supplies For My Well-Researched Lost Treasure Hunting Adventure Projects, Consists Of The Following Metal Detectors Used Extensively In The Field: [1.] White's MXT TRACKER E-SERIES [2.] GARRETT ACE 250 [3.] GARRETT MASTER HUNTER 7 A•D•S VLF/TR DEEPSEEKER [4.] SPARTAN 175 BFO (Built By Garrett Electronics Inc. For Karl von Mueller's "Exanimo Establishment" Of Segundo, CO) [5.] THE ACHIEVER III VLF/TR (Built By Garrett Electronics, Inc. For Gene Ballinger's "In The Step's Of The Treasure Hunter" NEWSpaper Of Mule Creek, NM) [6.] GARRETT Hand-Held POCKET SCANNER PERSONAL CHECKMATE [7.] White's GOLD MASTER 66-TR/D 4B, SERIES II [8.] White's BUCCANEER BFO
To my knowledge there has never been a biography written about the life and adventures of Master Treasure Hunter, Extraordinaire, Karl von Mueller, pseudonym for Charles Dean Miller (Feb. 3, 1915 - Jan. 30, 1990). Nor will there probably ever be, unless such a tremendous undertaking were to be accomplished by one of his closest associates (dear friends, by no other words), but they have long since past away. Or perhaps a family member.

Gladyce M. Miller (Karl's beloved wife and closest partner throughout most of his life), unfortunately passed away on November 16, 2003, at the age of 88.

LouAnn, their daughter (the eldest) and son, Charles Dean "Okie Jake" Miller, Jr, along with grandchildren, William "Bill", and Lisa, are the only survivors now whom I am aware of, and I'm pretty sure they would rather keep Karl's and their private lives under one roof.

Karl personally, was very much a private person. He learned through countless experiences over the years, to never trust no one, no matter how friendly they may appear to be.
But, Karl was a very firm believer in "The Golden Rule". As a matter of fact, I think he wrote the book on that subject. His only obsession in life was to write as many books as he possibly could before his time was up and share his unbelievable wisdom with everyone who read his books, on how to shuck the time clock and become stinking, fifthly rich and independent.
I believe he succeeded along these lines, way too well, and made a lot of people become very rich. He asked for nothing in return.

Karl von Mueller may be gone, and I along with countless others he helped truly miss the "Old Man", the "Ogre of Segundo", the "Great Granddaddy of all Treasure Hunter's" most dearly as our own loving father, but his remarkable, adventurous legacy and the words he put into print for all of us, to educate us, will live on forever... handed down, handed down, handed down...

Kindest Regards,
Sincere Best Wishes,
and
Exanimo!

POPEYE

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
G'day Popeye. You're back. Couple folks you know or know of on line occasionally. Arkansas Bill from the Circle of Companions, whiskers (Jim Lyons), Monk (not using his name), OldestJim, E. Ernie Webb. I agree with and endorse most of what you said about Dean except the finger flub near the end. We called him the Ogre of Odessa and the Sage of Segundo. What did you think of Acres of Diamonds? I listed it in Treasure Hunting 201 post. I'm about done with 301 then I will polish it off with 401 in about six months. Won't be any books listed in 401. Just a few hard won facts. exanimo, ss

Treasure Master

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2004
Detector(s) used
Siegfried --

You betcha! Thanks to you and your very valuable, sound advice, I now have a copy of Russell H. Conwell's "Acres of Diamonds" sitting on my library shelf next to "The Richest Man in Babylon", both read at least two-dozen times.

Let me just say this about the "Acres" book:

If there is a single one of you out there who has never read "Acres of Diamonds", written by Reverend Russell H. Conwell (1843-1925), or has still not become an achiever, one who has become extremely wealthy, you should be ashamed of yourself. You have been driving around with your headlights turned off. Wake up, fool, and read the book before it's too late, or else someday you may find yourself among the sad casualties of those half-baked cookies in the oven and fruitcakes on the street.

You already understand ? after this life, there is no other.

Yup, I recognize all of the above names of those listed from the second-generation of the "Circle of Companions", fellow "Ridge Runners" and "Associated Geographer's".

Did you ever locate a copy of "Aaron's Express", or any of von Mueller's "THM's #1 through #5?

Kindest Regards,
Sincere Best Wishes,
and
Exanimo!

POPEYE

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
I haven't found aaron's express but have a list of less than 90 books from a friend's collection of all the books in JoE. Those are all he is missing and have found two of them for him. I have found and verified by photograph two of the six editions from volume 1 through volume 5. One was printed in a magazine. It was an interview with Bill Mahan and he was holding and showing a copy of volume 5. I found on ebay a copy of volume 5 and while I was gone someone beat my $200 bid. It was a green cover audobon press edition. The Mahan photo was black and white and all you could tell was that the cover was dark. Paul stated in a letter to me that he had personally seen several of the copies that folks had brought into the shop and that they refused to sell them and also declined to let him make a copy and get free books in exchange. Drop me a pm about the round robin if you're still interested. exanimo, ss

Treasure Master

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2004
Detector(s) used
Siegfried --

I am still very much interested, pal. Keep the flywheel spinning, and your gold scales close by, I will get in contact with you ASAP.

A wink is as good as a nod to a thoroughbred, you know. ;-)

Kindest Regards,
Sincere Best Wishes,
and
Exanimo!

POPEYE

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
It should be at paul's right now with one stop then an opening. Have to confirm that he got it but have the tracking number if he didn't. ss

Treasure Master

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aye, aye!

Tell Paul and Joanie that Alan said, "Howdy!"
They'll know who I am, since I was their earliest and best customer.

I will get in touch with you, soon, Siegfried.

Kindest Regards,
Sincere Best Wishes,
and
Exanimo!

POPEYE

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
10-4 and 88s, exanimo, ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread