Treasure Hunting an old house in Bishopville, SC

bignadad

Mar 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my friend and I got permission to treasure hunt an abandoned house and didn't do too bad. We were out about 9am and got done around 7pm.

We found a quarter, nickel, quite a few modern pennies, i think 4 wheat pennies, and a 1890 indian head penny.

Over the last few months we have probably found about 50 to 75 pennies in 3 different locations. I just don't understand how so many pennies get tossed away.

Question.
Does anyone have any idea how old this house is based on the pictures below? The way the inner walls were made are just like the house i grew up in and it was built in 1835. Im guessing this house is from late 1800's????

Its also amazing to see how much 2 people can find in just a day.

Here are some pics and a video inside the house

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like it was built in the 30's or 40's maybe older

spaced45

Apr 11, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Whites CoinMaster Pro
Haunted and full of enormous bugs! That's way I stayed outside while bignadad went in. I was at the ready though, waiting for the sound of him falling through the floor. Dude I had a blast today. I am really curious about the other side of that house. Need to bring in the big guns and borrow a Bush Hog. We're only a few cents short of a happy meal! Looking forward to the next hunt!

Last edited:

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like somewhat modern pine lumber, bricks etc. At some point, the house was at least remodeled, restored, or something. But I'm sure the original portion of the house is quite bit older. I've searched around several old houses & it's kind of a crap shoot whether you find much or not, it seems. I guess the fact that most people just didn't have much back then & minded their change much more carefully would account for that. But that's what makes checking them out more interesting! Is this going to be the house with the buried jar full of money, pocket spill, or lost gold ring?
You never know!! :laughing7:

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a new foundation but the chimney looks older. If all those targets were dug in one day by just two people my hat's off to ya - that's a whole lotta diggin'. Congrats on you finds and your tenacity! If you have or can get permission to go back take something to cut the weeds and retrieve the treasure! Keep us posted!

spaced45

Apr 11, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Whites CoinMaster Pro
thanks everyone for the info on dating the home. My buddy and i are always throwing ideas out there when we dig up old structures but there just that, ideas. Would anyone happen to know of any resources out there that might be able to provide some insight on home or land layouts for the period. I am hoping that I could get a better understanding of what was possible or impossible when correlating objects or structures to a period in time. Thanks

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the video, very interesting. It's such a shame that no one salvaged the doors and mantles. My guess would be 1900s or later.

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most counties have a GIS web page that along with other info lists the age of structures on the properties and the name of the owner. Lee county has one. I pulled it up - it's a good bit different from my county map and I didn't take the time to figure it out but it shouldn't be difficult. GL&HHing!

OP
OP
B

bignadad

Mar 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for that info. Im looking into this now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread