Treasure hunting at car washes and pay vacuums at gas stations

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
A couple of days a week I walk by a car wash. As I walk through the parking lot, I scan the ground near the pay vacuum and have found different types of treasure. I have found earrings and coins. I even found a gold wedding band in the parking lot of a gas station (I did go into the gas station and ask if anyone lost a ring and left my card - no call back).

I think what happens is that people put money into the vacuum and they get in such a hurry that they are careless about taking out the floor mats and things like that and it spills on the ground. They want to get it done before the time runs out.

S

stefen

Check the contents of the vacuum collector...people suck up change all the time.

T

TreasureTales

Another good place to find lost items/money without the aid of a metal detector is below the drive-up windows of fast food restaurants. I've collected coins of various denominations at fast food joints for years. I go before they open in the mornings and before the winos wake up and start scratching around for more booze money. It's all good!!!!

I know a guy who got permission from the local sewer treatment plant manager to detect the effluent that came out of the main sewer pipe when they were replacing it. He put on all the protective gear and then waded into a shallow pond where the waste water drained. He found one wedding ring, lots of pennies, a few dimes, a couple pull tabs and a metal button. He said the diamond wedding ring made the whole experience worthwhile. I, for one, never would have even attempted such a thing. He likes to brag about it!!!! Barf.

N

nate1976

Good Idea! At the gas station I find alot of soda/beer bottle caps for my daughter's cap collection. 8)

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
TreasureTales said:
Another good place to find lost items/money without the aid of a metal detector is below the drive-up windows of fast food restaurants. I've collected coins of various denominations at fast food joints for years. I go before they open in the mornings and before the winos wake up and start scratching around for more booze money. It's all good!!!!

I know a guy who got permission from the local sewer treatment plant manager to detect the effluent that came out of the main sewer pipe when they were replacing it. He put on all the protective gear and then waded into a shallow pond where the waste water drained. He found one wedding ring, lots of pennies, a few dimes, a couple pull tabs and a metal button. He said the diamond wedding ring made the whole experience worthwhile. I, for one, never would have even attempted such a thing. He likes to brag about it!!!! Barf.
How funny!Don't think I'd do that either.I think it's just a part of us treasure hunters to always be on the look out for things.Any possibilities.I found an ear ring next to my seat at the movies the other night.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
a friend of mine cleaned up around two car washes for several years...he had three 5 gallon buckets of coins he found at them...he found so many that he put a 2 gallon can in his truck toolbox just to put the found coins in..he said most often there would be a pile of quarters on top of the control box where the washer would finish washing and forget his pile of coins....he also told of finding many other things left in these car washes like cellphones, keys, a pistol, tools, jewelry, etc......i once went to one and found a brand new buck knife that had never even been sharpened...checking into it the knife listed for 79 bucks, and ended up being my favorite uncles most cherished possession...it sits in my china cabinet now......g

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I also pick up change in the drive thru lanes of fast food restaurants, banks, pharmacies, etc. The only problem that I have encountered to what to do with restaurants that a 24 hour drive through. There is no "down time" to coin pick. Anybody have any ideas.

T

TreasureTales

CHKNHAK said:
I also pick up change in the drive thru lanes of fast food restaurants, banks, pharmacies, etc. The only problem that I have encountered to what to do with restaurants that a 24 hour drive through. There is no "down time" to coin pick. Anybody have any ideas.

They might be open 24 hours, but the question is: Are they BUSY 24 hours a day? Most of these drive-thru restaurants have periods of time throughout the day that are less busy or that are totally absent of customers for awhile. You could keep track of these "down times" and go there then. I live in a small town, our drive thrus are closed from 11pm until 6am so I don't have a problem (I usually get up very early anyway), but I've also noticed that around 2pm (before school is out) they have a lull in their business.

One word of caution, however, I think if I were you I would get permission from the shift manager first. Afterall, these places are private property and they just might consider those coins, etc. as their money/property. I go when no one is around, but going to such places when employees are around would put me off a little. Please, check with someone in charge of the restaurant prior to going when a place is open 24 hours/day.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Thanks for the idea, Treasure. You are right, they are private property. I'll check with the manager.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I always do well at old closed down gas stations,I prefer to hunt ones that have the old gravel,there is always a lot of coins,and over on the side where the soda machines sat too,whenever I see an old gas station closed down I whip it in there and give it a swing...Shoot

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Chkhk, go to Home Depot and buy a couple of those orange cones. Go to the drive through and put them in the lane while you hunt for coins. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread