Treasure hunting career?

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro
What would you rather have?
XX.XX per hour, 10 hr days, and turn over everything you find. OR
00.00, per hr. & keep everything you find.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you rather have?
XX.XX per hour, 10 hr days, and turn over everything you find. OR
00.00, per hr. & keep everything you find.

working for minimum wage will give you way, wAY, WAAAAY for $$$$ than any metal detecting ever could.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hitndahed,

Sorry about your severance situation....I hope you get a hefty settlement to carry you over until something else comes along work wise.

Regards + HH

Bill

Well I am for sure going to make a go of trying.
Just now,,, no bull,,,,we all just got our proposed severance package.
And me at 57,, in my industry,,will probably be put to pasture.
Deep sigh

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a great life. I've been doing it for years.

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.58.58 PM.png

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hitndahed,

Sorry about your severance situation....I hope you get a hefty settlement to carry you over until something else comes along work wise.

Regards + HH

Bill
===========================================
Thanks Bill,
Not as much as we all were hoping for but enough that we won't be starving.
Going to try to get a gig together where I don't need to rely or corporate crap like this anymore.
Time will tell,,,

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had some good sponsors, I could easily make a career of metal detecting and general treasure hunting. However I don't think it would be highly profitable trying to live off of your finds alone.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't see it as putting food on the plate, I did just detecting in the eighties for about 6 months everyday and sold everything that I found. The PMs(precious metals) went to a jeweller for remelt and I got above spot as it was cheaper than buying from the wholesaler. It kept me in smokes, and some food but I realized that it wasn't something that could even support the habits, it added the factor of the pressure to perform and took the relaxation out of the equation.
There was a fellow that chatted me up in a park in Plametto FL and told me where to find IHs in the park as his father was the first guy to have a detector around there and he would dig more silver than what he was making in the factory at that time. Now this was in the very early sixties so things have changed since then and the landscape has been hit for 50 yrs now. So hired out to find stacks and rings at $40 a hour is a job, and that kills the enjoyment factor.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make a career out of treasure hunting, but only if you are extremely hardcore and dedicate all hours of every day to the endeavor. You will have to hunt treasure in more than just one way - that means not just metal detecting - I'm talking really creative ways. When I was in high school I needed extra money so I began looking for "treasure" in every place I could. It took me many years but eventually I had figured out many secrets to treasure hunting. I never considered treasure hunting a profession but more as a way to have fun, but there are people who have made fortunes. During my early years of treasure hunting I was good friends with a guy in Australia, he was living in the outback where he metal detected for gold nuggets nearly every hour of every day. He found many gold nuggets and soon after about 4-5 years of work had collected about $200,000 worth of gold. This gold paid for his entire lifestyle. Then without warning the gold prices began to increase in the mid 2000's. Before long the guy's $200K was worth over $2 million! That's successful treasure hunting.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hitndahed,

Well if you can handle general handyman work there should always be a demand for that, be it painting, repairing gyproc, tiling, carpentry, etc...it might not make you rich but most contractors don't want to deal with the small jobs say from $100 up to $5,000.....so it's something to consider.

Regards + HH

Bill

===========================================
Thanks Bill,
Not as much as we all were hoping for but enough that we won't be starving.
Going to try to get a gig together where I don't need to rely or corporate crap like this anymore.
Time will tell,,,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread