Treasure Hunting Florida

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Found this site on florida and seems to cover the whole state.

Treasure Dive Sites
TREASURE DIVE SITES FORGET THE FISH! DIVE FOR FLORIDA GOLD! ? Matt Mattson 1997 -- 2003, all rights reserved 14K crucifix found in Clermont Chain of Lakes! 14K chain found in Weeki Wachee River! 14K Diamond from Daytona! ... WITH AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY, MAPS, GPS COORDINATES, DESCRIPTIONS, ... TREASURE FLEET FOUND -- THAT YOU CAN WORK LEGALLY! 14K Gold Bracelet and Pendant found at West Beach ...
www.treasuresites.com

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
boomer said:
TREASURE FLEET FOUND -- THAT YOU CAN WORK LEGALLY!

What does this mean exactly??

I guess, what I really need is, a Shipwreck Legal Guide for Dummies.

Does anyone have any pointers to information (for dummies) about the legalities associated with wreck diving / treasure hunting in Florida.? I know there are alot of wrecks out there, some found, some not...? As this site shows, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to find these (as long as they have a GPS).. But what can you do once you spend some time digging in the sand on a wreck site and you find something you want to keep...

I don't Scuba yet, but hope to get certified as soon as it gets warm out this year.? Florida is a place on my list. :)? I'm also clueless (as you can tell) to the legalities of treasure hunting under water.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gsmeiers,

Alot of those sites listed on Matts site already have contracts with the state,any underwater wreck where theres no contracts or leases you can detect on them,however you need to have a exploratory lease from the state to do it legally even if you happen to find something,anything of value or non value it has to be reported to the state,and they will want to keep it until theres actully proof of a wreck there in order for them to issue you a lease with the state.,then you will be entitled to 80% of the finds the state gets thier 20% and they get to pick what they what out of total items collected.heres a link,read everything there.

http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/archaeology/

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisheye is correct about the sites listed. Dispare not! there are still many virgin wrecks on the bottom yet to be found. The following is a copy of a post I made back in November that may also help you get started.
Enjoy!
Q

There is not one source that I have found that you will be able to find that has a comprehensive list of laws dealing with salvage. Each nation may, or in many cases may not have laws to deal with salvage within there territorial waters. In the case of salvage in international waters see Admiralty and Maritime law at (http://www.admiraltylawguide.com/)
In the case of salvage in US territorial waters, you will be dealing with both the state and federal government (http://www2.cr.nps.gov/laws/ship.htm). Each state will have its own laws dealing with salvage within its waters. For example, Florida waters extend out three miles from the low tide line (http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/archaeology/); except for down in the keys you are looking at about 12 miles out.
I have been told over and over that you can not use a metal detector under water in Florida without a permit, especially along the Treasure Coast of Florida. This is just plain false. There are no Florida laws that prohibit you from diving with a metal detector. It is true however, that you must stay out of leased sites, and out of some protected habitats. Additionally, you must abide by Florida law should you find anything on the bottom and recover it. As a diver you are responsible for knowing these laws and locations before you dive with your detector.
I am sure that this posting will generate a spirited response from some who actually believe the stories that the Treasure Coast is off limits to the average treasure hunter. The following excerpt is from the contract between the state and the Mel Fisher group in Sebastian Florida.(http://www.imacdigest.com/)
BENT ANCHOR S32G 27.55.7N X 80.29.12W; East to 27.55.7N X 80.28.57W; South-southeast to 27.53.28N X 80.27.24W; West to 27.53.28N X 80.27.68W; then follow the mean low tide line to point of beginning.
CABIN WRECK S27 27.49.8N X 80.25.55W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of mean low tide line.
DOUGLAS BEACH S26 27.25.3N X 80.16.50W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
POWER PLANT S25 27.21.2N X 80.13.65W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
ANCHOR WRECK S23 27.48.2N X 80.24.70W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
SPRING OF WHITBY S23 27.46.0N X 80.23.83W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
RIO MAR S23 27.38.3N X 80.20.90W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
SANDY POINT S23 27.35.8N X 80.19.65W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
UNKNOWN S23 27.19.0N X 80.12.30W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
CORRIGANS WRECK S25 27.46.2N X 80.22.67W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread