Treasure hunting with a bulldozer yields Barber!

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I have had access to a (totally awesome) 1959 Caterpillar D4 that I FINALLY used for treasure hunting. A good detectorist friend and I found a nice Seated-site close enough to drive the bulldozer to, and got permission to totally clear all the crappy weed-trees, sod, and underbrush away from the entire site... we hit the foundation! Although it didn't yield a massive amount of coins (just one)... it was fun mixing two hobbies into one!

Enjoy the pics, and click on the two videos (links) below to what I posted to Youtube.

Happy fall hunting everyone!:occasion14:
IMG_3161.JPG IMG_3163.JPG IMG_3166.PNG IMG_3167.JPG Chester.JPG

Upvote 13

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best way to take a few inches off at a time, liking it!

OP
OP
mack0238

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah PepperJ, got everything out of the way!!

The map in my post is from 1878.

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hahahahaha. That's awesome brother!! I gotta get me one of those bulldozer thingy's. They beat any Detector in depth everytime.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So many folks don't realize how easy-to-get and useful the Sanborn/Plat/Cadastre maps can be!

Nice find!

~Tejaas~

Stanislav M

Oct 30, 2015
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 70. Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buldozer the best:thumbsup:

S

stefen

A good backhoe and a dragline being held in reserve...?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14:..now thats makin it happen

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY MAC DADDY YOU KNOW I THINK THIS SHOULD RECEIVE THE BANNER AWARD FOR , DETECTING GONE WILD . NOW THATS SOME SERIOUS DETECTING .......

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice that you found a coin. But, it also speaks to the idea that most of us have come to think. BOY! If I could ONLY get deeper!! They coins would come rolling out! All that silver and gold I just can't reach!!!

Now, you bulldozed an entire area and you got what? One? LOL

No, they do NOT just grow back and one just needs to wait for the next crop. Also, spending another 1000 will NOT guarantee ANYthing! LOL

I'm sure you'll find more there, but the scenario fits sooooo well!

OP
OP
mack0238

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY MAC DADDY YOU KNOW I THINK THIS SHOULD RECEIVE THE BANNER AWARD FOR , DETECTING GONE WILD . NOW THATS SOME SERIOUS DETECTING .......

Hahahaha.... Thanks Sutphin!

I've just always wanted to do that... get in there and get right down to the good stuff!

BOYS.... IT'S TIME TO TAKE THIS METAL DETECTING THING TO THE NEXT LEVEL. "Where we're going.... we don't need shovels."

Next time... there will be more than one coin...8-)

Love this hobby!!!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice that you found a coin. But, it also speaks to the idea that most of us have come to think. BOY! If I could ONLY get deeper!! They coins would come rolling out! All that silver and gold I just can't reach!!!

Now, you bulldozed an entire area and you got what? One? LOL

No, they do NOT just grow back and one just needs to wait for the next crop. Also, spending another 1000 will NOT guarantee ANYthing! LOL

I'm sure you'll find more there, but the scenario fits sooooo well!

Heh. I'm sorta doing the same thing. On my mother's property she has a half mile race track to train horses. Also through the property ran an old road. According to old maps and in a book about the history of the town she lives in, an old house was once located in the center of the race track. It burned down in the mid-1800s. After doing some research, a mildly well-off family owned the home when it burned down. Prior to that, it was owned by a pastor in the early 1800's.

I have searched and searched but save a crotal bell and a few large cents, I cannot find evidence of this home, and the items I have found weren't even found where the home is thought to be. My theory is that so much fill was used and so much dirt moved to make the race track in the 1950's, and also to divert the natural streams that run through the property, that the remains of this home are buried even deeper than my NEL coil can even find anything.

In the spring, I am going to have a guy bulldoze about 10 inches of overburden about half a football field wide/long in this field and try searching again. It's almost at the point of madness with me. I refuse to believe that there is nothing in that area. I WILL FIND THIS HOME!

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the idea of bulldozer Metal Detecting!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the idea of bulldozer Metal Detecting!

Certainly would add a new meaning to asking for permissions. Drive up on your bulldozer & say, "Go ahead, make my day!"

OP
OP
mack0238

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"hi, can I fix your lawn for you?" Just kidding. "OK fine, I'll only use my little knife here instead"

True, it's not a good idea for in-town detecting, but out on acreage where foundations lay is the final frontier in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread