Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was entertaining two of the grandsons, okay, babysitting while their parents went to a funeral. The two boys know that I metal detect and insist that we go metal detecting outside in the early morning heat. After the first time I allowed them to "help" me, I immediately purchased plastic digging tools for them to use. Cooper and Casen can get pretty wild in their helping and tend to get really into the dirt part of it but that is okay, we have the small swimming pool filled with water for that later. We find some "treasure", several zincoids that I discreetly drop into the hole and the argument begins. The younger boy, Casen is actually bigger than than his brother and pushes him out of the way to get to the coins. So I have to cough up some more clad to quieten them temporarily. But then the real treasure surfaces as a pretty good sized worm is revealed in the next hole. I had to act quickly to keep the worm in one piece as I dug another hole in a damper spot and found another worm. Suddenly it became "Bug World" as a cricket and a beetle joined the treasure pile now stored in a 5 gallon bucket. As the bug population grew, it was decided that they needed both dirt and water as the boys "helped" the bugs in their new home/prison. Then a small (unlucky) frog was found and the chase was on as the two tried to catch it. I didn't think that they would be able to catch it but a happy squeal let me know that the frog was most likely a doomed one now. The death grip on the frog in Cooper's little hand sure didn't look good for the frog as I convinced him to just drop it in the bucket. Then a "hopper" jumped and the chase was on as the excited boys tried to catch it. It actually managed to get away in the taller grass and both boys came back with the youngest, Casen jabbering something about the hopper. Granny came out and asked if they had found any "treasure" and the boys both excitedly grabbed the bucket to show her, the coins were long forgotten. Now we live out in a country atmosphere and Cooper suddenly decided that he had to go, his shorts dropped and he took care of business. Then it was naked butts as the clothes came off and the water in the little pool came to life. For two little boys, this was the good life, for two grandparents, it was pretty good too.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
Toddlers can certainly make your day with an ear to ear grin as they do the funniest things.
Glad you have good times with the grand kids. Sounds like a very fun day all around.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Going to have to keep some night crawlers in your pocket for next time I guess!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you sharing the story! :icon_thumleft:

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome time spent. Thanks for shareing.

oldwormwood

Aug 17, 2015
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Still doing research, but I still have my Micronta (Radio Shack) 3000 from the late 1970s!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific story. Those younger years really seem to go by fast! The boys are fortunate to have a grandfather like you.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My boy is 4, and yup, its an adventure every time he helps me treasure hunt. He loves digging clad wich he calls (treasure money). Gotta luv them at this age, daddies still cool, and every day is a new adventure. Sounds like good times, congrats.

Jul 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story, Thank-you.. well written too

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350