Aug 7, 2012
New Smithvlle, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pioneer 505
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hear of all these old treasure legends in PA, and I know the descriptions are vague but with all the people talking about them and talk of searching for them why no stories of finds?

Are people all talk and not really looking?
Do you think some have indeed been found but kept secret?
Do you think they have been found many years ago and just not reported or recorded anywhere.

I know of only one old legend that was later confirmed. The one about the train robbery and the bags of pennies. 1954 a few hunters found a bunch of pennies from that robbery.

What are your thoughts...

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was bout 15 miles from where I live, have an idea where it was.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
As a young man I believed everything, as a middle aged guy I believed a few, now I know they are all legends and probably don't exist. But you never know...

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one bout the great train robbery was ture a couple hunters found a bunch of the pennies, but not all. There was a post years ago that some girl contacted the last hunter that was still alive that found some of them but wouldn't tell her where he exactly found them. I have akinda idea where it might happened, but right now unless you like rattle snakes it's not the time to be hiking around that area.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Are treasure legends true?
I'll never confirm or deny exactly what I've found in nearly 50 years of metal detecting but the pictures that you'll see me post here in my album and on various threads are less than 1% of what I have found.

(It will all go back into the ground some day for someone else to find. That will be one Pennsylvania Treasure Legend that is true!)

Are Pennsylvania Treasure Legends True? Some might be....others might not.
This is a hobby that has given me a lifetime of rewards searching for things that others claimed didn't exist.
You'll never know unless you search!

Cheers
:occasion14:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never find anything officer, I just enjoy digging poptops and nails......

OP
OP
T

Tracker

Aug 7, 2012
New Smithvlle, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pioneer 505
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I like rattle snakes!

Snakehunt016.jpg

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way I like them is if I have a shot gun with me lol

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where at in PA r u at tracker?

OP
OP
T

Tracker

Aug 7, 2012
New Smithvlle, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pioneer 505
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in New Smithville about 4 miles north of rt78, about 15 minutes west of Allentown or about 20 minutes east of cabelas. I also have a cabin in Pike county near Pecks Pond and plan on doing a lot of MDing up in that area.

The pic of me with the rattle snake was in Cameron (or clearfield) county during the Sinimahoning snake hunt a few years ago.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I know where u r I did a Logging Job right next to that hawk mountain nature place few years ago.

I'm from the lewistown area like 20 mins east of state college. I found alot of good places out ur way to lebanon area over my years working in the woods.

OP
OP
T

Tracker

Aug 7, 2012
New Smithvlle, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pioneer 505
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father in law does a lot of arrowhead hunting and just told me of a place he stumbled upon near hawk mt while digging for arrowheads years ago. He said it looked like an old fort made from big stones. He has an old MD he bought in 1974, we are going to try and find it again...

I have a good idea where you are. I had a man tracking class in state collage last year. A couple of the students were locals and were into caving. They said there are a lot of caves in the area. That sounds interesting......

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I logged right next to that civil air rescue place that they trained people to search for people when planes wrecked. There was an old camp on the ground we logged that feel in that was around in the 20s. But then I wasn't into MDing at time.
I think I know where he might be talking bout I remeber seeing and old stone wall near the road that went back into the woods.
I remeber a lot of old I mean old stone barns in that area too

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I know where u r I did a Logging Job right next to that hawk mountain nature place few years ago.

Your a logger huh? I get a lot of my real good leads from my logger buddies:icon_thumright:. You loggers got it made when it comes to finding areas that have been long forgotten about! Oh & ya gotta be careful of the rattle snakes down where I like to go in southern Indiana too!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was a logger, I worked for about 10 years till just recently I got a new job. Only if I woulda had my MD when I would have seen all those old foundation, stone walls, old building just standing in the middle of the woods.

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I logged right next to that civil air rescue place that they trained people to search for people when planes wrecked. There was an old camp on the ground we logged that feel in that was around in the 20s. But then I wasn't into MDing at time.
I think I know where he might be talking bout I remeber seeing and old stone wall near the road that went back into the woods.
I remeber a lot of old I mean old stone barns in that area too

I hunt that area during deer season. Gotta watch where you go around there because alot of it is state game lands that arent very clearly marked back in the woods. Did you get to see either of the planes that are back there? Right across from the civil air patrol is a rifle range. Going back the road to the range is a yellow gate off to your left. If you walk back there (all game land) there is a valley down to your left with an old cellar hole at the end of it. There are things laying around there but, obviously you cant take anything. There are alot of great potential sites around there on private land if you can get permission though. The "ghosts of berks county" books mention quite a few places in that area as being pretty old.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like rattlesnakes...with barbeque sauce...yummmm.

Legends and facts. Two different things in my opinion. The pennies are facts, well documented. Legends aren't so well documented and information is scarce.Legends become facts when someone is lucky enough and determined enough to research it so well that they find the facts in some obscure place that a lot of us either have no access to or just plain don't think of looking. I have my own thoughts on a couple legends, searched for one off and on over the years, but never had a concrete piece of evidence to back up the claim except someone mentioning there is a legend. I like documented proof of reality to move it from the legend to fact catagory....not just someones word.

Al

OP
OP
T

Tracker

Aug 7, 2012
New Smithvlle, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pioneer 505
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GarrettJL,
I know the area pretty well......what 2 planes?

I've been searching and researching info on the Indian silver mine/cave in shohola glen.......stumbled read this the other day.... http://gravity.shohola.org/ read the second paragraph under the picture of the railroad car.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions