Treasure Mountain, CO - Lost Frenchmens Gold

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Thank you for your responses and questions. I am very excited to share information that we have as long as we can use information that you have between yourselves on this forum for our research. I must say that some of your research is very deep and very impressive. Perhaps the easiest way to to find common denominators is the differences in our approach. I'm hoping that the intersection of our efforts will help us both. We are looking for the treasure. And I have spent a lot of time speaking with locals in both those valleys and as far North as Leadville. I am certain from these conversations, and experiences, and intuition, that not only does portions of this gold remain buried somewhere, many people believe it and it has nothing to do with Maynard. I assure you of this. Most people that I have spoke with have never heard of The Citadel series.

The Citadel series is what is in question as far as I was concerned. Since I'm on the ground researching, like an amateur news reporter, I needed a smoking gun. I started with Maynard himself. I first spoke with him in the spring of 2013. He was on his way to Canada to sell some of his books. I found out but not only was he the author but he also was the publisher. Most of the books that he sold he peddled to small bookstores, to restaurants, gas stations. I interviewed small business owners who found Maynard to be good-hearted but eccentric. Most of the places he sold the books he got cash up front. He was on consignment with some of the other owners. Some of these people had done business with Maynard for many years and loved him. As you probably noticed, just like my writing, there were many grammatical errors nonetheless he kept writing. I spoke with him again right before his death in 2015. I also spoke with his wife after he died the next year. I had many questions about the origin of this Legend. But specifically, in the credits field, the stories of Henry Gestefield. Maynard even changed his last name spelling and even changed the name of the book that Henry had wrote admitting the word French. My friend Kim from Kansas discovered the sleight of hand while I was eating at a Mexican restaurant and I was blown away. You see, it wasn't just the articles for 1921, it was from Henry. Maynard referenced his book and the spelling of his name incorrectly. This was the clue and break we needed. Henry wrote a book called my 50-year FrenchTreasure Hunt. Maynard did give him credits but spelled the book and name incorrectly.

I've never read the book My Fifty Year French Treasure Hunt but, earlier in this thread, I posted a three page account of how treasure was buried and marked with a complicated series of symbols. I don't know the source of this information but could you tell me if it came out of this book?

I also looked for a copy and found the book only has 32 pages. Did he give any information about the French party, for instance, the route they followed and where they started along the Mississippi?

The Treasure Mountain legend grabbed my interest because of the trails that the French might have used to get from Montreal to the northern Rockies. I have no interest in searching for it and I have posted all the information I've found that might help somebody who is looking for it. That being said, what I have not found is any evidence that there was a large French expedition mining in the Rockies. Like you said, in your first post, an expedition that big could not go unnoticed. The Spanish would not have allowed a large group of French to winter in any of their settlements.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Yes on PM. The point I alluded to Maynard was stories that were in the Citadel series. Maynard clearly fills in the blanks with his version of reality. Almost fiction at certain points. And yes, he does state this. However, there are so many things that he wrote about that were extremely accurate.

I find it hard to believe that Maynard had not met KVM at a younger age. No one single clue stands out.

But, I asked Maynard, in 2013, if he had ever spoke with Henry G. He said, "No, but I did speak with his oldest son." He also said, "His son did not believe his fathers account of the accuracy of where the gold had been buried. He was quick to discount Henry G's location of the treasure. YOU MUST READ Gestefield and look at his maps. Now for me, this is the same way I would have approached the Gestefield story. His only other (next) logical conclusion was KVM material or KVM himself. Maynard went on to say that he did not believe that the treasure was buried on or near the Continental Divide. He also said he did not believe that it was buried on Treasure Mountain. He had spent much time in the La Garita area and crossed the SLV in the area of Music Pass.

Well if your read Gestefield, you will notice that Maynard eludes to bones dug up on the Upper Colony Creeks only miles from Music Pass. Maynard got that from Gestfield. It was Gestefield that was working in the Wet mountains in 1910 who dug up what appeared to be bones of a French Soldier. The grave was found near a irrigation ditch that Gestefield apparently was working on as a young man. Simple common denominators, Maynard lived in Colorado, KVM lived in Colorado, Gestefield lived in Colorado. The years all overlap. I can't imagine that Maynard had not met KVM and went to Segundo himself. This is not a far stretch for me at all.

I did go to the Westcliff library on 2 different occasions to see if there were any stories on microfiche of this discovery. There were some articles missing from 1910. The librarian said it would be difficult to find the missing stories. I think even 1 full month was missing. That is a little off track, but I did do the research.

Did Gestefield say why he thought the bones he dug up belonged to a French soldier? Do you know if there were artifacts that could be dated?

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be that the crypto Jews gave the valley it's name. Saint Louis's mother was Blanche of Castille and it seems she was sympathetic toward them when her son wasn't.

In 1239, Blanche insisted on a fair hearing for the Jews, who were under threat by increasing Antisemitism in France. She presided over a formal disputation in the king's court. Louis insisted on the burning of the Talmud and other Jewish books, but Blanche promised Rabbi Yehiel of Paris, who spoke for the Jews, that he and his goods were under her protection.[SUP][11]

[/SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanche_of_Castile

Blanche is Blanca in Spanish and I think there is a treasure legend associated with a Blanca Peak close to the San Luis Valley.

Good points, dog. Too bad the Jews didn't have such an advocate in Spain. Yes, Mount Blanca is on the east edge of the valley and does have legends associated with it, as do several of the peaks on the east side.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never read the book My Fifty Year French Treasure Hunt but, earlier in this thread, I posted a three page account of how treasure was buried and marked with a complicated series of symbols. I don't know the source of this information but could you tell me if it came out of this book?

I also looked for a copy and found the book only has 32 pages. Did he give any information about the French party, for instance, the route they followed and where they started along the Mississippi?

The Treasure Mountain legend grabbed my interest because of the trails that the French might have used to get from Montreal to the northern Rockies. I have no interest in searching for it and I have posted all the information I've found that might help somebody who is looking for it. That being said, what I have not found is any evidence that there was a large French expedition mining in the Rockies. Like you said, in your first post, an expedition that big could not go unnoticed. The Spanish would not have allowed a large group of French to winter in any of their settlements.

With all due respect to Platoro and others, it's been my thought that the Treasure Mountain legend, while plausibly based on some sort of true historical events, may (like most legends) likely have been seriously overblown through the years.

My working model of the events: the 18th century French did foray into Colorado, activities for which mdog and others have provided plenty of reliable documentation to support. I would speculate that these types of parties more likely numbered in the dozens, not the hundreds. These explorers likely followed watercourses and could well have discovered untapped placer gold in the streams and quickly accumulated a substantial amount of raw gold, as placer mining is not a difficult chore - especially in rich ground. Instead of leaving the nuggets in the wilderness, logic says they would have of course taken their booty with them downstream, on the way back to civilization. As I recall, dog, you also provided information about a placer gold cache on the Arkansas River, allegedly linked to 18th century French explorers. All this is available in the earlier posts on this current thread. In any event, the groundwork for the legends is quite feasible: French find gold in the Colorado mountains. From this, mighty legends can grow and grow.

Re Treasure Mountain: a hardrock mining operation by an exploratory party is highly unlikely, IMO. Serious lode prospecting by informed French may have followed the first explorers, yes (seeking the sources of the placer discoveries), and old campsites have allegedly been found. However, I'm not convinced any evidence of actual significant mining remains. Maybe, but I would have to see that for myself - all we really have are allegations. As far as the many searchers for the treasure - sure, folks have spent years or lifetimes on it based on legends and rumors surrounding the alleged French miners. We've read about enigmatic clues found in the mountains, yes, but haven't actually seen them. If there were such clues, I suspect they were quickly destroyed by early searchers out of paranoia and new false clues created to confuse others. If later searchers find clues, these sorts of cycles tend to repeat, as human nature is predictable. Treasure hunters never tell the truth about their actual activities. Ironically, if such actual unadulterated clues were found, one could argue that they were more likely created by fur trappers to mark their pelt and equipment caches, as was their custom.

Good luck to Platoro and his associates. As mdog alluded, many of us are more interested in the history of the events and legends, and aren't about to go searching for the treasure. Any new information provided along those lines would be appreciated - especially the comments about activities in the 16th century in Colorado

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
With all due respect to Platoro and others, it's been my thought that the Treasure Mountain legend, while plausibly based on some sort of true historical events, may (like most legends) likely have been seriously overblown through the years.

My working model of the events: the 18th century French did foray into Colorado, activities for which mdog and others have provided plenty of reliable documentation to support. I would speculate that these types of parties more likely numbered in the dozens, not the hundreds. These explorers likely followed watercourses and could well have discovered untapped placer gold in the streams and quickly accumulated a substantial amount of raw gold, as placer mining is not a difficult chore - especially in rich ground. Instead of leaving the nuggets in the wilderness, logic says they would have of course taken their booty with them downstream, on the way back to civilization. As I recall, dog, you also provided information about a placer gold cache on the Arkansas River, allegedly linked to 18th century French explorers. All this is available in the earlier posts on this current thread. In any event, the groundwork for the legends is quite feasible: French find gold in the Colorado mountains. From this, mighty legends can grow and grow.

Re Treasure Mountain: a hardrock mining operation by an exploratory party is highly unlikely, IMO. Serious lode prospecting by informed French may have followed the first explorers, yes (seeking the sources of the placer discoveries), and old campsites have allegedly been found. However, I'm not convinced any evidence of actual significant mining remains. Maybe, but I would have to see that for myself - all we really have are allegations. As far as the many searchers for the treasure - sure, folks have spent years or lifetimes on it based on legends and rumors surrounding the alleged French miners. We've read about enigmatic clues found in the mountains, yes, but haven't actually seen them. If there were such clues, I suspect they were quickly destroyed by early searchers out of paranoia and new false clues created to confuse others. If later searchers find clues, these sorts of cycles tend to repeat, as human nature is predictable. Treasure hunters never tell the truth about their actual activities. Ironically, if such actual unadulterated clues were found, one could argue that they were more likely created by fur trappers to mark their pelt and equipment caches, as was their custom.

Good luck to Platoro and his associates. As mdog alluded, many of us are more interested in the history of the events and legends, and aren't about to go searching for the treasure. Any new information provided along those lines would be appreciated - especially the comments about activities in the 16th century in Colorado

That's a great post. I've been keeping my fingers crossed hoping somebody like Platoro would step forward and maybe clear some things up.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
The San Luis Valley is quite an intriguing place for many different reasons. Dog, I haven't reviewed all the posts in this thread (but I think I might to refresh my noggin), but one thing I've never gotten straight is why, when and by whom the valley first took on the name of a French Franciscan saint. I can't remember ever finding a source that explained it.

The French of course founded and named St. Louis MO in the mid-1700s, which establishes a possible French connection that maybe somehow even links Villemont during the same period. Then, we also know that this region was dominated by Franciscans, at least in Santa Fe and points north, and was settled by the Spanish - some even say much much earlier than the 18th century by crypto Jews. I know the place name may be irrelevant side issue to the story, but you know that I believe the selection of place names is often not a trifling matter.

Yes, I think Treasure Mountain has more value as a place name and location than it does as a source for treasure.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in the San Luis Valley while finishing college. I read the series and was interested in the story. I attended one of Maynard’s lectures. His family was looking to the north of Del Norte. This turned me away from what the books said because they lead you toward music pass which is on the other side of the Valley. I used to explore the area south of Monte Vista. I came across a perfect circle of rocks in a low saddle in the foothills. Straight to the west there is a hill with three canyons. There are incredible rock formations down there, ideal spots to hide anything. Anyway if this can help anyone pm me and I can give you directions. It is just a perfect round marker or something made out of rocks, maybe 10’ or so. It looked very old but the Spanish trail is very near by. It could very easily be nothing at all.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in touch with a family member of Maynard around 2 years ago, and he claimed he saved all of his research. So now I am wondering what really happened to all of it.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a perfect circle of rocks in a low saddle in the foothills. Straight to the west there is a hill with three canyons. There are incredible rock formations down there, ideal spots to hide anything. Anyway if this can help anyone pm me and I can give you directions. It is just a perfect round marker or something made out of rocks, maybe 10’ or so. It looked very old but the Spanish trail is very near by. It could very easily be nothing at all.

That may be an arrastra. I would love to get GPS or directions for this so it can be checked out. Got any photos by any chance?

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
-snip-
mdog and sdfcia's info on Crypto-Jew activity in the colonies is fascinating. I am now curious if perhaps the famous Mesa name honors the Castilan Queen Urraca of Leon instead of the Anasazi magpie legend.

RE: The Organization “conspiracy”.. not sure exactly what that entails, havent watched/read the Cort Lindahl or Steve Clark stuff (yet). Given the outrageous schemes that our modern Wall Street bankers cook up to enrich themselves to beyond what’s possible to spend in a 100 lifetimes, I can entertain these types of scenarios.

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 90's a family who claimed to be the direct descendants of that French mining party said they found a cave were the treasure was at. They lived in Del Norte Colorado right by treasure mountain they said they pulled a treasure trove permit for it that is the Rio Grande forest is there any way of looking them up by that permit should be just like a mining claim.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a father daughter team that got a treasure permit for the area north of Pagosa Springs. Problem is they confused two treasure tales with each other, had no real evidence at all, and ended up doing nothing.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the 90's a family who claimed to be the direct descendants of that French mining party said they found a cave were the treasure was at. They lived in Del Norte Colorado right by treasure mountain they said they pulled a treasure trove permit for it that is the Rio Grande forest is there any way of looking them up by that permit should be just like a mining claim.

Go to the county courthouse. Search the Mining Locations books during the 90s for Treasure Trove locations. If you're fortunate, the records are digitized with a decent way to search them. If not, you'll have to thumb through copies of the original papers, year by year. All county courthouses seem to have different methods, so you may have to ask the clerk for help. The owners' names and addresses should be on the papers. The trove location should also be described in fairly good detail. The 90s was a long time ago, but there weren't a lot of claims being filed in those days, so you should be able to find it fairly fast - if it exists.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a father daughter team that got a treasure permit for the area north of Pagosa Springs. Problem is they confused two treasure tales with each other, had no real evidence at all, and ended up doing nothing.
It is Gary and Emily Smith they are American Treasure Finders they use to have a web site and posted a lot of photos it looks like they took it down and went to Facebook which I absolutely will not use.I believe he read the book by Temple C. called Sheepherders Gold I have looked between Pagosa Peak and the Rio Grande Pyramid and Window up the head waters of the Piedra river and all over that country I am surprised I never ran into them.Gary had a totally different pyramid and window he went off of I believe he was using Granit Peak and I never understood that I think he had been looking for 20 years but he had to have found something because he filed a treasure trove permit Weminuche wilderness area and I never understood that I though you could not do to much in a wilderness area and they had posted all this info on the web so it is all public knowledge.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct, they confused the story of Treasure Mountain with a story from Temple Cornelius' book. I watched their videos, and to put it nicely their methods were "unsound" in my humble opinion. With cracks in rocks and natural formations perceived as some kind of pointer to trails and treasure. Their website is no longer up, and their Facebook page doesn't look active.

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
View attachment 1624865 Here is a photo of the real pyramid and window this is Pagosa country and this is how the Spaniards navigated thru this country enjoy.

This is a really good picture. When you say this is how the Spanish navigated through the country, do you mean they used it as a landmark to set up their trails.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine we go to Spain how do we navigate this is are first time there with out reference points we would be lost right. The Spaniards always had waypoints for there travels this pyramid and window can be seen from a real long distance in this country from all over. I spent a lot of time in the mountains here I could always find the pyramid and window to get my bearings back. Anyone who has spent any time wandering thru these mountains knows it can get mighty confusing sometimes.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1624865 Here is a photo of the real pyramid and window this is Pagosa country and this is how the Spaniards navigated thru this country enjoy.

cyzak, that's definitely a good landmark. Have you climbed up to that notch? If so, can you describe what you found up there, or better yet, post a picture of it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread