Treasure/Salvage Diving in Asia?

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good Evening All,

I'll jump right into it. In August, I moved to Hong Kong to begin a year here as an exchange student. Two weeks ago, I was visiting the Philippines (Manila and then on to Cebu) and decided to do a refresher dive in a place called Moalboal (popular dive site, excellent reefs) since it had been a few years since my last dive. Well, I had forgotten how much fun it was, and was soon diving for my Advanced Open Water certification. Having secured that, I am now interested in seeing the other dive opportunities that await me in Asia!

What I am most interested in knowing, now, is if there is any potential in this area (anywhere in East or Southeast Asia) to join a treasure/marine salvage operation or something of the like while I am here. I am a young guy (20) but I am knowledgeable and safe when in the water, and a strong swimmer in excellent physical shape! Of course I know about all the wonderful wreck dive sites here, and I will be visiting many for sure, but as a History student I am very interested in knowing if there are any salvage operations I can be a part of.

I know lots of you guys have teams in the States looking for divers (trust me, when I am home in Canada I will be sending emails your way!), but perhaps someone knows of something over on this side of the world as I know it is certainly not short of wrecks! I know its a long shot just throwing a post up, but I don't really know where else to begin ??? I'm in Hong Kong until the end of April (with ample opportunity to get away as I can rent my flat out for a substantial amount of money whenever I leave :headbang:) and then I basically have several months from May until July when I would be free to be anywhere in Asia diving wherever it is possible for me to do so!

Please do not hesitate to send me a message or post here with any ideas, I look forward to seeing what people have in mind!

Cheers,

Andrew

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Congratulations, Andrew! Now you're in MY territory! :icon_thumright:

There's thousands of ancient wrecks throughout Southeast Asia. We're putting together some projects now as I write this.

Be very careful if going out and diving on wrecks in these areas because the governments are starting to crack-down big-time on wreck looting.

Will keep you posted if we can use you in the future or not.

Good luck and enjoy the sights of SEA!
TW

Attachments

• book_sea3x750.jpg
    book_sea3x750.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 880
  • book_sea3x750.jpg
    book_sea3x750.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 831

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread