Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this story a few months ago, but couldn't find it to re-post and update, so I'll re-tell it.

My buddy met an elderly couple in New Mexico, and the wife told him about gold nuggets that her and her brother used as ammo for their sling shots.

When she was little, her Dad grub staked a Native American each year, and with out fail he paid him back with a small bad of gold. Her Father kept the bags in the barn, and Her and her brother used the gold for sling shot ammo.

I made the trip from Ohio last week, to visit some friends, and help my buddy pack out his Elk. I made it a point to meet the couple, and get my own take on the story.

Long story short, I met her, fantastic Lady, and I totally believe her story. She said the gold was chunky and rough, with wires and little "do-dads" all through it. "Nice Specimen pieces", she said.

She told me all kinds of stories about the little mining town she grew up in. I was begining to think she might be the treasure, with a book about her and her husband's lives.

I made sure I got the location of their house, and she was very cooperative and very specific. She said that she would like to return, just to walk down the side of the street that she was never allowed to walk, because of a bar on that side of the street. I was ready to volunteer to take her there, when she said that the road washed out in the heavy rains NM had last week.:BangHead:

5 days later, on my way out, I went and checked hoping that the road would be open. It was barricaded many miles from the town, I stopped and talked with a road crew, and they said it was a real mess, and it would be a long time before it was passable.:sadsmiley:

So I guess it's another teaser.....it will probably be a while before I make it back out to NM.

Sorry for an unfinished story, but I felt like I had to get it off my chest.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for shairing it with us.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You could rent a copter and fly in or circle back and maybe come in another way. If you want in bad enough. Just my opinion...

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could rent a copter and fly in or circle back and maybe come in another way. If you want in bad enough. Just my opinion...

There were some people stranded there when the road washed out, they took a helicopter in, but the canyon was too narrow to land it. The old lady said with a smile,"I could have told 'em that".

I could barely afford the trip, renting a helicopter was really out of the question. Even if I get extremely lucky and found some of the gold, it may not amount to much.

Coming in a different way was out too, a major expedition, compared to driving right to the sight.

I'll just have to wait till next time, I have found over the years that the anticipation and planning of a recovery can be exciting too, any way that's all I have for now.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread