Treasure Trove of gold and silver prospecting info for CA, CO, ID, MT, NM, and NV

Twogunbloodoath

Greenie
Mar 28, 2020
Trinity county CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705/ equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! Trevor here with another great quarantine read. This is great information if you like to geek out on history and geology like I do. This book is titled Gold and Silver by J.S. Diller in 1910. It depicts living conditions, geology breakdown of gold bearing ground with pictures, maps and more info on trading posts and working conditions of the mines. If you have nothing to do I strongly recommend you reading this book or at least skim it to check out the cool pics and maps. I will list the chapters here so you can see what areas this book addresses.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/0470b/report.pdf

-Auriferous Gravels of Trinity County California.
-Economic Geology of Carson Camp Hinsdale County Colorado.
-Geology of ST. Joe River Basin Idaho
-Gold Bearing Ground Moraine in Northwestern Montana
-Geologic Relation of Ore deposits in the Elkhorn Mountains Montana
-Notes on the Economic geology of the Ramsey, Talapoosa and White Horse mining districts in Lyon and Washoe County Nevada.
-Ore deposits near Pinos Altos New Mexico.

I hope you all enjoy this info read and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I have a lot more info on some other areas around the west as well.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Treasure Trove of gold and silver prospecting info for CA, CO, ID, MT, NM, an...

Good stuff. I’ve been up to Carson Camp outside of Lake City in Hinsdale County, CO. The USFS has stabilized several picturesque buildings and some impressive mine works remain exposed. It’s worth the drive up from Lake City...which is saying something as the road is a real challenge for the last few miles. The USFS has let the road degrade to the point where our average speed was about 4mph for the last 2 miles- barely above walking speed! I describe the details in my book of course.

One funny observation: the author talks about how the silver is the important mineral as there’s about 100oz of Ag for every ounce of Au. When he wrote, the price of silver was propped up by the federal government. When that ended in 1893, the price of silver dropped and suddenly the gold was the focus with the silver considered as a byproduct. It’s all a matter of economic perspective isn’t it?!

OP
OP
T

Twogunbloodoath

Greenie
Mar 28, 2020
Trinity county CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705/ equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Kevin thank you for the extra info about the area. Yes, it’s funny how fast things can change in our economy at the drop of a hat, especially in our present times. I’m glad you enjoyed the read.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread