Tree Dating. And I don't mean what comes after Tree Hugging.

dirtfishinMS

Nov 29, 2017
Harrisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have learned through years of using historic aerials that I'm not very good at estimating the age of a tree. I've come across many spots where I've said "That's a 100 year old tree", only to find photo evidence that the tree didn't exist at all 50-60 years ago. I guess I need to educate myself on tree dating. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cut the tree down, and count the rings.
That’s all I got, sorry.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its a hard thing to do, alot about it is over exaggerated i know of huge trees thats younger than me and i know of small trees that are older than me. alot of people think trees are old because there big , but it all has to do with fertile ground wet years and over all plant health that makes them grow big and look old. just like you said i see trees now days that i would have thought would have been around in the civil war ,but looking on historic areial they were just small trees in the 50s. but im not talking of sequoias or redwoods.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Cut an oak down last year..guesstimated 100 yrs....stopped counting rings at 185 because there had been a piece of metal in the beginning that turned the inner rings dark blue and couldn't keep counting. Maybe another 30-50 inner rings..IDK. It was a "manicured" tree from my graveyard, no limbs until about 35-45 feet up the tree. You just never know...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions