Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (11in Coil), White's Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently came across this old tree while metal detecting in the woods. At the immediate base of this tree I dug up an ox shoe. While covering up the hole I noticed what appears to be an old carving/marking on the tree. The carving looks like a cross of some sort. About a foot above the carving I also noticed an oddly shape knot. I've previously read about people finding items hidden in trees, so my curiosity got the best of me. I ran my XP Deus coil over the knot and received a solid repeatable signal. The VDI reading was a consistent 52 (which is a moderately conductive signal (defiantly not iron)). Another note of interest: the tree is near an old stone wall intersection. Also about 10 yards from the tree I dug a Spanish 1/2 reale. What are the chances something is hidden in this knot and does it warrant further investigation?

Attachments

• image-3534883.jpg
    image-3534883.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 118
  • image-2412095237.jpg
    image-2412095237.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3983987623.jpg
    image-3983987623.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3583518503.jpg
    image-3583518503.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one posted on this huh? I would say YES! it definitely warrants more investigation! I assume you metal detected all over the area. Did you get a reading on which way the ox shoe was pointing? that can be important, depending on who buried what, if it was not just garbage. So did you end up digging into the tree? I would scan the immediate area for other marks on trees...

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Is it on your property? It would be really cool to see whats in there!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keith123:

That cross appears to be an upside-down cross that sometimes means distress. It is also referred to as St. Peter's Cross. When the Romans were crusifing St. Peter, he begged them to put him upside down because he was not worthy of dying the same way as his Savior, Jesus. The Roman's honored his request and placed him and his cross upside-down.
In the last photo of the tree, it has the look of a candelabra, with the largest "branch" on the right side, as viewed. That might be indicating which direction to look / travel.

How far into the tree's material does your detector say the metallic target is?? If the object is inside one of those 2 knots, and is not inside of the trunk, Consider cutting that knot off of the tree cleanly and without butchering it. If you can do that and have the knot be in ONE piece after cutting, you'll be able to replace it in it's original position if necessary. Use a handsaw that has teeth designed for crosscutting a board. That will cut the tree material cleaner because the teeth of the saw will be smaller. Take your time, if you DO cut off the knot and cut s-l-o-w-l-y.

Sing Reseracher

Nov 4, 2014
Iran /Tabriz
Detector(s) used
Many of detectors for example lorenz x3 /x5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi . i invited you to Participate in classes of the Treasures signs & marks

The first lessons of the treasure signs

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread