Tree Markings

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. One of the properties I've been metal detecting on has a wooded area and cleared field. I've found several symbols on the property in the wooded area that leave you with the feeling that there is something there to find. On the property amongst lots of other trees that have symbols (some of them I'm sure is just graffiti). Ive found this tree which has a hoyo in it, looking through that tree in one direction and following that path, there is another tree that has all kinds of markings on it. There is also there is another tree that has a similar symbol on it. All 3 have a U that has another letter inside the U. One tree has an M in the U, the hoyo tree has D in the U and the tree with all kinds of symbols on it has an H in the U. Anyway, I don't know if this has any signifigance or not, but thought I should go ahead and post them together because of that similarity. I would really appreciate any input that can be given on these. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks Shortstack and poorfarm for your posts about the Hoyo tree!

Hoyo Tree D inside U and other symbols:

Family-169.jpg
Family-170.jpg

Multiple Symbol Tree H inside U and lots of other symbols (last picture has the U with the H in it):

Family-179.jpg
Family-180.jpg
Family-181.jpg
Family-177.jpg

Other Tree M inside U no other symbols:

Family-169.jpg

Positions of the Trees (this isn't exact, but to give you an idea anyway):

Family-170.jpg

Attachments

• Positions.gif
    Positions.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,580
  • Family-191.jpg
    Family-191.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 797
  • Family-181.jpg
    Family-181.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 835
  • Family-180.jpg
    Family-180.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 627
  • Family-179.jpg
    Family-179.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 629
  • Family-177.jpg
    Family-177.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 523

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Help Decyphering The Markings

If it was me, I'd go to the center and Dig like Hellllllllllll :wink:

OP
OP
C

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gunrunner61! I hope it's that simple :), but there are so many symbols on the property, I've been kind of running in circles and beating my head :BangHead: with nothing to show. I'm kind of scratching my head at this point :icon_scratch:. I have metal detected there to what I thought was the center of those trees and in between those trees, but at the same time from what I've read, some things may be buried really deep (10ft +), so a metal detector may not pick anything up. And at the same time I can't just go around digging 10ft holes or even 3 or 4ft holes around the property without feeling confident that that's the spot, the owner probably would not take to kindly to that :). I think the fact that they have a similar symbol on them is saying hey pay attention to me, but I guess I'm not sure what it's trying to tell. In this post I've included another picture of the tree positions with the angle indicated of where I took the picture. I labeled each picture 1, 2, 3, etc in relation to how they appeared in the post. Please let me know if I'm confusing the issue as I sometimes get to caught up in unimportant details :).

Thanks for your help and thanks to those who post in these forums. I'll learn alot more here than I have in any book :).

PositionswithPictures.gif

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Suggest using a twobox to determine if digging is a god idea.
if a good target exists ... dig, if not you have saved a lot of time and energy.

Empty holes become very depressing after a while.

icefly

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see these trees all the time when I am hiking, hunting, etc and these markings are not old. Now, with that said, I wouldn't get your hopes up... Are these trees located in an area where there is a lot of activity? Meaning, do people frequent this area a lot? Is it close to roads, parks, etc? Unfortunately, people have been marking on these trees for eons and some are just BS "nothing better to do than vanadalize a tree" scribble... The U letters are interesting- The "M" inside the U is much older than the other two... (Of note, and not that I think this pertains to any of the markings that you have found, but a "U" symbol was left by the Spanish as a symbol for a mine. Others simply signify a "U" to mean a buried cache.) While some people talk of letters equaling one foot in measurement. (For example, while facing in the direction with your back to the side of the tree with the letter on it and walking in a straight line away from the tree, it is simply A =1 , B = 2, etc. So, M would= 13 feet from the tree dig.)

OP
OP
C

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Old Dog. I will definitely do that. Do you know how deep they typically detect?

I could only imagine dsty, I've dug a lot of little holes while metal detecting but no big ones :)

Thanks icefly, I will definitely detect the areas that would be where you have mentioned.

Thanks again for all your help.

icefly

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No way a regular coin shooter detector will go deep enough- I know- I have a White's and a Garrett. These things will be buried 2-3' down, if not farther... To use a detector, you would need a two box type and, simply put, those are beyond my price range- $4000+

OP
OP
C

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow icefly, that is a chunk of change. I'll have to see if I can hands on one.

Hello poorfarm, I do see what you're seeing and it looks like a creek, but its not one.

Thanks for all your help.

OP
OP
C

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I'm just now posting something. Haven't had a lot of chance to get out there. I was able to use a garrett gti-2500 with treasure hound coil, but didn't really find anything, but the rear coil seemed to be really sensitive to being hit by anything and walking through woods with lots of brush here and there didn't make it work to well. I'm going to try and stabilize it and see if that makes a difference. Has anyone had any experience with one of these? Anyway I did find another tree that had a letter in a U. This time the letter was an A with a D directly underneath the U. On that same tree I found the below writing/drawing. The more I look at it, the more I think it may be some kind of guide???? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Phone-018.jpg

OP
OP
C

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Old Dog. This may be a stupid question and please let me know if it is, but the reason I had asked if it may have been some kind of guide is the fact that the tree has the letters A, M, D and H and large letter A that has the right leg starting from the bottom of the right leg of the H. I found it interesting that the A, M, D, and H were the same letters that were found in the letter Us on the 4 trees. Is there anything to that or am I reading too much into it? :dontknow:

Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread