Trench Art???

cbash83

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV (I know, I'm an amatuer ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this at a antique store and have no idea what it is....Someone told me that it could possibly be trench art since it has an inscription of "JAP 1ST. DIV", but maybe some of you who know way more than I do can help me. Thanks! SAM_1413.JPG SAM_1414.JPG SAM_1415.JPG

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an interesting piece for sure. I really have no idea what it was made for though. I thought at first it was on a grenade pin ring, but they were made of round wire not flattened like yours. It's one of those things that there have probably only ever been one of, and made for someones personal reason. It may be impossible to find out without the maker around to tell the story.

If I had to hazard a guess, and this is just a WILD guess, I'd say it could be a scrap of metal from the war that a soldier picked up maybe from a battlefield, as a sounenir and labeled then used it as a key chain later. Why he chose that scrap, what it's from, and where it came from could likely always be a mystery though.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks to me like someone labeled a war relic. I don't think your find is the relic, and think it was marking the relic and only means something to the guy that made it.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Would it be possible to get a closer view of what's on the back? I believe the left side is the bottom, as I can see a guy in what's now the lower left which should be rotated to be in the lower right. Beyond that I can't definitively make anything out, but it would give us a clue if we could ID or date that part, which as Ken mentioned made be out of the question, but it's all we've got really.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I concur that it was probably attached to a "War Trophy" or something that was captured and sent to the rear lines. Perfect example of a trophy would be like a rifle, helmet or something and describing what unit is was from.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread