TRESPASSING

Is this thing on?

Jul 26, 2008
Greetings everyone!

This question is for all treasure hunters here, especially those involved in law enforcement. In town, there is an old high school that was founded in 1928. It remained in operation until 1959, when the school was relocated across town. Since its closing, the school has become quite dilapidated, having been the target of vandals, pagans, and just kid's in general. As a result, the city has put up a fence around the entire school to keep people out of the school itself, as it is a safety hazard. The fence is pretty close to the building, with a "No Trespassing" sign affixed to it. Because the fence is so close to the building, it leaves a HUGE area around the school that would be IDEAL for metal detecting.

Can I treat this like any other school that we all have hunted...just as long as I don't cross the fence-line boundary?

If for some reason a cop stops...what are they likely to do? Ask me to leave? Or take my detector and stick me in a cell with some hairy princess named Larry?

Thanks everyone!

Chris

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You're asking if it's alright to detect OUTSIDE a fence at a PUBLIC school site? uhhhhhh :icon_scratch: I certainly would've already hit it, as I'm sure other md'rs in your area have already long since thought of (unless there are simply no md'rs in your area)

OP
OP
Is this thing on?

Is this thing on?

Jul 26, 2008
It WAS a public school, but it has been vacant for decades. I am not even sure if the city still owns it - I do know that they are the ones who erected the fence.

As to not hunting it yet - I am anxiously awaiting my detector in the mail. It's painful! I have sites already picked out, and friends to go with, just no detector yet. Maybe tomorrow?

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Go down to the local PVA and see who owns it and give them a call.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!

If it's public and you're OUTSIDE the posted fence, go ahead and hit it.

Just remember to fill you're holes and pick up any dangerous trash you
run across. . . you'll be doing you're community a service as well :wink:

Good luck!
watercolor

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also of the opinion that outside the fence would be fine. If by chance a police officer did happen by and stopped, I figure most are just plain curious. I know I am and I doubt if there is any local law that would allow for them to confiscate your detector. But, if they asked you to leave, then I would say yes sir and hit the road. Will be waiting to see how it comes out.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Its public property that you're taxes paid for. Never had a problem at any of the schools in my area. I try to leave the grass as undisturbed as possible and only hunt after hours, I also avoid hunting any time there is after school functions.

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Wis the signs that say no trespassing, means just that. I would approach the school admin and get it in writing that you can detect in the outer area outside the fence. Carry that with you when your detecting and there should be no problem. Technically the school owns the buildings and yard. Legally when they put up no trespassing signs that means on their property. That is the way I would handle it when I respond to trespass complaints when I'm on duty. Just me 2 cents

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Yeah,
I would check and make sure the city owns it and then I would hit that puppy. I am just now overcoming my fear of going on to public property to MD. I didnt want to get arrested but one night I ate dinner with a cop who was also on the night shift and he told me unless posted or fenced they are not going to care one way or the other until they get a complaint that says you are damaging the property. SO FILL THE HOLES and move through.

Surfin

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Lockman, read the initial post again. The "no trespassing" sign was on the fence. That would therefore apply to what's within/inside, the fence, no? For a person to be standing outside such a sign, and having not entered, he therefore has not run afoul of anything.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Tom,

That is my understanding as well.
I own posted property, and have to be tolerant of the edges outside the fence as a "right-of-way."

I cannot molest, complain about, or otherwise malign any person on the right side of that fence.
The sign is enough of a warning though.
I can press charges if someone crosses the fence.

Thom

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Tom,

That is my understanding as well.
I own posted property, and have to be tolerant of the edges outside the fence as a "right-of-way."

I cannot molest, complain about, or otherwise malign any person on the right side of that fence.
The sign is enough of a warning though.
I can press charges if someone crosses the fence.

Thom
Thom,
I just had to say this....I couldn't see you molesting anyone..lol ;D

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I did hold a sheriff's kid on the place until his Dad came to get him once.
Seems they both thought he was special.
The Judge didn't.

I wouldn't have pressed charges if the "Dad" hadn't been so pompous.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
My son and I just hunted a place like you described in Cleveland, OH. Only difference is that there is no fence and the signs are on the building. We were detecting Saturday and a Police car cruised right by. Only reason he would have stopped was to warn us of the neighborhood. ;D

Bob

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also live in Wisconsin and when the sign says NO TRESPASSING, that means for the entire property! As long as you can see the sign stay out. If you want to MD there talk to the school board and get permission in writing or find out who owns it now. You can also try the police dept. If they say it is O.K. most likely no one will stop you. I once got permission from the police chief in Saukville to detect a park that was off limits to everyone. All the while I was there a police car also was.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
jimb, I'm getting cross-eyed trying to understand your post. Since when does a "no trespassing" sign's message extend to areas further out than where it is posted? Certainly if the grass were included, the school could've put the sign on the lawn's edge, to prohibit people from stepping of the sidewalk. Right? Or they could've put the fence at the sidewalk's edge, etc.... So, no, the sign does not necessarily mean the "entire property".

Example: We have a public park near me, that has portions of the park (rodeo shutes, concession stands, etc...) that are "no trespassing" unless in active use (when rodeos are going on, or when the particular concession stands are open, etc...). So while the off-limits part of the park are posted, that doesn't in any way mean the rest of the park is also closed. Ie.: the "reasonable" person interprets the sign to mean the part that it is affixed to, and a "reasonable" person does not assume that if he sees a fence, that he is in violation of fence for being on the outside of it.

As far as "asking the school district permission, and requiring them to "put that in writing", you're only risking getting a "no" from a bureaucrat, who would probably never have given it a second thought. I mean, the mere act of you walking into their office and "asking", only casts aspursions on you or your hobby, as if, something were so inherently evil or wrong, that it needed permission to begin with. I mean, would you ask if you could do jumping jacks there, and have them give you that sanction to do jumping jacks in writing?

If someone is still skittish that there may be some rule on the city's books, they can satisfy their curiosity by looking at the codes themselves (usually available online at the city website). If it is silent on the issue (no mention made of metal detectors/detecting), then consider yourself innocuous.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Belief if they wanted you to stay off the entire property,
Why put the fence so close to the Building ?

the Reason:

They don't care about Outside the fence.

I would go for it.

Many Places I have asked at the only few that had restrictions was
"Don't go in areas Fenced in"

I know around here No Trespassing signs must warn you before you
enter, Not Invite you on the property that is protected to read the warning.
in other words the sign must be on the border of the protected property.

JEFF

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
jimb said:
I also live in Wisconsin and when the sign says NO TRESPASSING, that means for the entire property! As long as you can see the sign stay out. If you want to MD there talk to the school board and get permission in writing or find out who owns it now. You can also try the police dept. If they say it is O.K. most likely no one will stop you. I once got permission from the police chief in Saukville to detect a park that was off limits to everyone. All the while I was there a police car also was.

I just looked at the state statutes for WI, and under the trespass laws, no protection is given to property owned by fed, state or local entities. It does say that on any private property, as long as the signs are visible(one sign per 40 acres), the property is considered "posted". The chapter is 943, if you want to look.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold fish said:
jimb said:

I just looked at the state statutes for WI, and under the trespass laws, no protection is given to property owned by fed, state or local entities. It does say that on any private property, as long as the signs are visible(one sign per 40 acres), the property is considered "posted". The chapter is 943, if you want to look.

Yes same here but every sign must be visible from another sign
and Must be on the Border not in the middle where you need to enter to read the fine print & Signature which also must be there. because of people posting
illegal signs to protect wildlife.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Is this thing on? said:
If for some reason a cop stops...what are they likely to do? Ask me to leave? Or take my detector and stick me in a cell with some hairy princess named Larry?

Just because I occasionally wear a TuTu while detecting :wink: ;D does NOT make me a Princess!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I would hunt the place and not cross the fence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread