Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was warm early this AM and a cold front on the way so I got out for a couple of hours. Went to a center median dividing a boulevard. I found nearly $3.00 in clad in just a few feet, half of an old mill coin, an earbob (as Grandma use to call them), a handfull of pennies and some misc trash. I have been eyeballing this location for a year and finally decided to give it a try. I only have about a mile more of it to do so I should stay busy for a while! The old mill verifies that there may be some old stuff there if I can get a coil on top of it. Monty

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

Sounds like a good spot. I hope you find a bucket full.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty wear orange and pray no drunks drive by. Looks like your going to need to speed up on your swing to get done before next year. HH Burdie

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty,

glad you got out.

Sounds like you should get a bunch of clad, if you keep it up. Will
pay for the coffee every morning.

That mill coin is a good sign.

Weather here is rain and cool, next few days expected to be wet, rain
and snow, temps falling. Think I'm not getting out for a few days.

Good luck on that median strip.

have a good un............

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Monty, do you think along the same way? I drive by an area and get a feeling about something good buried there and let it slide till it just eats at me till I give in and then sure enough, it does produce one or two really neat finds? Or am I just weird? ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
this may be a dumb question, but what is a mill coin? i have never heard the term before. how old do you think it is? do you think you could post a pic?

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A mill was of the WWII era, and was made of cardboard or aluminum. It was for paying tax on small purchases. It wasn't a real coin but represented something like a tenth of a cent. It had a hole punched in the middle and writing inscribed all around the face and reverse. The one I found is half eaten away and probably you couldn't tell anything about it. About the only time you hear the term millage anymore is referring to a tax base for county projects , etc, For instance , the county assesses a special 1 cent tax, dividing the intake into so much millage for each seperate project. Monty

Try this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_(currency)

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Monty is right.The 'mill' was a tenth of one cent.The old zinc mills started disappearing in the late 40's and were replaced,here in MO anyway,with plastic mills of 'green and 'red'.One was a 5 mil denomination.All went out in early 50's.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly stoney. I am always seeing something that piques my interest but don't have time to stop and check it out. I'll even forget about it and the next time I go by it I'll think, "Oh yeah, I wonder about that place". I should jot them down and make a list of places to visit on slow days but I guess I'm just too lazy? Monty

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I walk it 20' at a time it shouldn't be too bad! :D Monty

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Monty said:
Exactly stoney. I am always seeing something that piques my interest but don't have time to stop and check it out. I'll even forget about it and the next time I go by it I'll think, "Oh yeah, I wonder about that place". I should jot them down and make a list of places to visit on slow days but I guess I'm just too lazy? Monty
LOL I don't think that lazy is the word. We just have so much on our minds nowdays that it falls through the cracks. I finally wound up going back to one spot and found nothing but 6 quarters-no pennies or jewelry. Another spot had a few wheaties and some Hot Wheels. I let one spot get away a few years ago and some other club members found over $150 in silver scattered by a dozer while working ground for a cancer center.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions