Tried another Ebay unsearched bag O Wheats...with great results this time!!

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured I would give it another try. If some of you recall, I posted a few weeks back about a disappointing bag that I bought, with very poor results, oldest wheat being 1937.

This latest bag was fantastic!!! I didn't get any key dates, however, I came away with an 1899 Indian Head, 3 Steel cents in great shape, several S mints which I was missing, and the oldest was a 1914, no D unfortunately. If you all are interested in doing this, I would recommend using the gentleman that I used. I paid $9.99 plus $4.99 shipping, which I think was worth it. Please PM me if you want the seller's name as I don't know if he would want me posting it here.

Cheers,
J

Upvote 0
S

sanlands

Are you sure? Well, those unsearched bags of coins are really suspicious. And I highly doubt any good coin of value will ever be found in those.

A bunch of them claimed to be bought from estate sales >_>

One especially that caught my eye was one where the guy said he bought it from 3, 5 gallon pails of pennies from estate sales. Yet, the guy has over 200+ transactions with all the same description and photo. Unless of course he goes to some estate sale that has over 10,000 wheat pennies stocked each day.

I'm really just betting that all of those are a huge network of searched bags of coins. Then they sell the choice coins on seperate accounts. And even more interesting is that a lot of the grab bag buyers seem to have their own listings of grab bags claiming they're unsearched. So either they're the same accounts, or the grab bags are being passed down... With the chances of them being searched more than once.

johnrielly

Jun 14, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the only way to get a good deal is sealed plastic bank bags My friend bought a 5000 ct bag and found some really nice coins.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not much per say a coin collector,but I'll take any one I find.As long as you got some for the collection and an IH to boot,nothing wrong with that at all.Glad this was a good bag for you this time...On call this week,but as long as we hunt Mont. Co. that'll be cool for the weekend...let me know.Even D.C. would do it...

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
I'm not much per say a coin collector,but I'll take any one I find.As long as you got some for the collection and an IH to boot,nothing wrong with that at all.Glad this was a good bag for you this time...On call this week,but as long as we hunt Mont. Co. that'll be cool for the weekend...let me know.Even D.C. would do it...

I will have to rely on you again for spots to go in Mont County, but we can meet somewhere on Sunday if you want. I will give you a call later this week.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sanlands said:
Are you sure? Well, those unsearched bags of coins are really suspicious. And I highly doubt any good coin of value will ever be found in those.

A bunch of them claimed to be bought from estate sales >_>

One especially that caught my eye was one where the guy said he bought it from 3, 5 gallon pails of pennies from estate sales. Yet, the guy has over 200+ transactions with all the same description and photo. Unless of course he goes to some estate sale that has over 10,000 wheat pennies stocked each day.

I'm really just betting that all of those are a huge network of searched bags of coins. Then they sell the choice coins on seperate accounts. And even more interesting is that a lot of the grab bag buyers seem to have their own listings of grab bags claiming they're unsearched. So either they're the same accounts, or the grab bags are being passed down... With the chances of them being searched more than once.

Either way, I filled quite a few holes in my coin album, and that is all that matters for me at this point.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
have you tried your local coin shop for bulk wheats? Way back when, I started out by doing this. Paid three cents each for them, now they're up to four cents. 30 or 40 bucks per thousand.

May save you some money, and you can always sell them on e-bay when you're done. ;)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Good deal. I think you did well with that bag - Searched or unsearched!

Mirage

PS- hey, how come I didn't get an invite to go hunting with you guys?! ;) :D

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Good deal. I think you did well with that bag - Searched or unsearched!

Mirage

PS- hey, how come I didn't get an invite to go hunting with you guys?! ;) :D

If you wanna drive in from Cleveland, you are more than welcome to join us. :D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
112 is not a lot for the $15 or whatever you paid after shipping. That's well over 10 cents each. Go to any coin dealer and you should be able to get them for less than half of that. At our local coin club auctions every months you can usually get several rolls of wheats for maybe $1-$2.00 a roll at the most.

Either way, they are ALL searched. About a year ago I bought a lot of 5,000 "unsearched' off of there for $200 shipped and that is just 4 cents each and now I feel like I over paid after seeing what I can get them for elsewhere.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Kiros,

sounds like you enjoyed the bag you purchased.

That should be what it is all about.

Do your thing, fill some of those slots in your
collection.

Enjoy.

have a good un...........

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Those "Sealed" plastic bank bags are easy to get. Just go to any bank & ask for them and they will give you as many as you want. I am doubtful that there are many truly "Unsearched" bags of coins around. I think the best way to get the Key dates is to simply buy them. I am currently saving all the clad I find to buy key dates.

Paul

D

DornCounty

These are scams. You might get lucky and be one of the "winners" but these are scams. But hey, if you enjoy the experience then go for it.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting post and I've wondered about those Wheat sellers. I personally don't give a flip for Wheats but I still was curious about the bulk sellers.

Thanks for the thread!

Best,

Badger

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DornCounty said:
These are scams. You might get lucky and be one of the "winners" but these are scams. But hey, if you enjoy the experience then go for it.

Once again, let me say this: I have just started my coin collection and just bought the Dansco albums. Rather than digging 141 wheat pennies and hoping that they are all different, I thought why not try a bag from ebay. I have now filled 70 slots in the album because of this purchase. I know the bags are not unsearched, any schmo from the street would realize that, however, I accomplished my goal. So those of you that think these are scams or not worth the time or money, try digging 141 different wheats sometime. I guarantee it will take you many many years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread