Tried out my new pinpointer!

S

skydiv

are pinpointers really worth the money spent when the md will pinpoint wheather you X or use the pinpointer on the detector? the targets i have problems with are the ones when you open up the sod the signal spreads out all around the hole. otherwise i have found just under a 100.00 this summer.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pin pointers have their spots, heres one. I have permission to hunt a park in a town. The park is very well used so recent losses are good. This is also good because they specified no digging! So I turn down the sensitivity and use the pinpointer which detects
1 1/2" to pin point and tell me if the target is shallow enough to pick up or pop out with a brass probe. This way I always have a place to hunt, They are happy and I will go back at least twice a year.

Ed Donovan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A probe type pin pointer is almost a must for me. Two reasons, one the coins around here come out of the hole the same color as the dirt and are very hard to see. Two I can't see very well at a close distance anyway. I have no problem digging in the right spot, just can't see the target when I get to it! Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
before i used a pinpointer i thought they were unneccissary,but now ive changed my mind. they make it so much easier to find the target in the hole that i will never hunt without one again.it saves tons of time.

Silversurfer

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT & White's Classic ID
I have only been MDing for a little over a half year, but I can tell you that a good pinpointer is defintely worth it. Like ecdonovan, I have used it at depths up to 1 1/2 inches and really helps keep the site in good condition.

Silversurfer

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Since I started using a pinpointer I have cut my time digging and searching down considerably. I also use it to locate the target in the hole. That way I know exactly where its at and can be more careful digging it out.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Bullseye helps me when I have a tree root or large rock in the way. But thats about the only times I use it. But I'm glad I have it.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Nice haul and a nice point when it comes to the price of gas....... ;)

As for pinpointers, they are so vital when your coin disappears when you fold the plug over. Cuts down recovery time by 75% for me.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of gasolone (read gold) my wife says she can't figure out my economics.? I have found enough clad and other stuff to pay for my detector so I'm ahead, right?? But she claims that since I burned more gasoline than what I recovered I am in the hole!? Now that's a woman's logic for you. (No offense ladies on the fourm, I am speaking of my woman's logic only).? ?Today for example I found 3 cents, a toy car and something, can't figure out what it is.? ?And I only burned $2.00 worth of gasoline, so I am way ahead,right?? Well, it makes sense to me!? Monty

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Hey Monty..... what's wrong with being in a hole? Is it muddy? Forget to take your pinpointer? If it make you feel better, I hate being in the hole out here. It's so dry that to get six inches deep the hole has to be 18 inches across! But speaking of holes.... I am off work today and going to hit the Prospectors Cabin that I found a couple weeks ago... I post finds, if I find any finds, later this afternoon.

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me pinpointers are like the Digital Video Recorder (DVR) I use to automatically record TV shows. You can live without it until you try it then you can't live without it!

They are handy and cut down on recovery time quite a bit. It's not always easy to find a brown penny in brown dirt.

Kent

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hey Jreamy. The first time you put a big scratch across a nice large cent, because you weren't sure where it was when you were digging, and you will know why a pinpointer is necessary. I never leave home without it. And all of us know that just getting out and detecting, unwinding, and generally having a good time is worth any amount of gas!!! Congrats on the finds...Lance

M

mchamby

Gas doesn't play into my equation, I figure I can't drink and I happily don't smoke so it's my gift to myself to fill up the Jeep to go metal detecting, most people spend it on those things and don't even think about it. ;)
Mchamby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread