rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just started this hobby(metal detecting) in april and absolutely love it. I seem to have developed trigger finger in my pinky and ring fingers, on both hands. I am wondering if anyone else has this same problem and if so, what have you done for it. It's at it's worst in the morning. All four of my fingers lock up in a curled position and i have to pop them back to straight. Thank you.
Rod

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had trigger finger in my thumb on both hands. Didn't know what it was with the right until it was at the point where I had to use my left hand to straighten out the thumb and it was really painful. I started on double doses of ibruprofen every four hours for a couple of weeks and it was completely gone in about three or four weeks. Next year it hit my left thumb. I caught it early and didn't need to take the ibruprofen nearly as long.

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These comments are greatly appreciated. This only started a couple weeks ago so i hope i caught it early enough. I am going to use all your pieces of advice and hope for the best. I really do not wanna give up this hobby. I've never heard of this sling thing but i'll look into it and yes, i do need something for shovel and pinpointer as i grip them with the left hand the entire time i am swinging the MD'er. Thank you, again.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See a doctor! Not trying to scare you but this could also be a sign of something more serious. I have trigger finger in my right fingers and wrist, this being due to nerve damaged that was slowly brought about by a bulging disk in my neck. I ignored the early signs and my disk eventually shattered, two surgeries later and I now have plates and screws and cadaver parts in my neck. When the disk finally shattered these same nerves got crushed and I'd wish that extended pain on nobody. On the up side, they can perform miracles these days as I am 95% good now on most days. Find out what the problem is as only then can it be properly addressed.

PS: If you feel any tingling or if you feel any muscle tightness over your shoulder blades go see a doctor!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy cow Big! That sounds incredibly painful. I do have an appt. coming with the Doc in a couple months, i am going to ask him to look at it during that visit. It wasn't painful at first but it is progressing to painful bending and locking. I do hope all is well with you these days. Perses, i am going to get that detecting buddy for sure. It looks like a godsend for MD'ing. May i ask, doesn't your pinpointer constantly beep with it in the trash bag with all the pop tops and foil wrappers or do just turn it on when you need it and off when you bag it? Thanks to you both for the advice.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See a doctor! Not trying to scare you but this could also be a sign of something more serious. I have trigger finger in my right fingers and wrist, this being due to nerve damaged that was slowly brought about by a bulging disk in my neck. I ignored the early signs and my disk eventually shattered, two surgeries later and I now have plates and screws and cadaver parts in my neck. When the disk finally shattered these same nerves got crushed and I'd wish that extended pain on nobody. On the up side, they can perform miracles these days as I am 95% good now on most days. Find out what the problem is as only then can it be properly addressed.

PS: If you feel any tingling or if you feel any muscle tightness over your shoulder blades go see a doctor!

My wife has had 3 surgeries like you describe above with the screws, plates and cadaver parts. Her feet and fingers used to hurt a lot and she thought she had "feet & finger" problems but it was a disc slowly crushing and hitting nerves. I wish ya the best guy.... Brad

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has had 3 surgeries like you describe above with the screws, plates and cadaver parts. Her feet and fingers used to hurt a lot and she thought she had "feet & finger" problems but it was a disc slowly crushing and hitting nerves. I wish ya the best guy.... Brad

I'm good. Mine blew several years ago. Still get the trigger wrist and fingers sometimes though, most often with the thumb, still have some minor numbness but always will. Nothing to hold me back though. :laughing7:

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have taken the last 5 days off from doing any MD'ing whatsoever. I have to say, my fingers are feeling a bit better but all i think about is getting out there and swinging that machine...hehe. I'm glad to hear that you are doing good bigscoop and hope your wife is doing well also, Limitool. Thanks again for all the feedback. Perses, detecting buddy ordered.:occasion14:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken the last 5 days off from doing any MD'ing whatsoever. I have to say, my fingers are feeling a bit better but all i think about is getting out there and swinging that machine...hehe. I'm glad to hear that you are doing good bigscoop and hope your wife is doing well also, Limitool. Thanks again for all the feedback. Perses, detecting buddy ordered.:occasion14:

WIFE! Eh gads, man! I said I had "nothing" to hold me back. :laughing7:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All are great responses! Surely visit a MD.
That said, in summer heat, my hands and calfs cramp periodically. Bananas, (potassium), has cured this? I hope your cure is as simple.
Also, as previously stated, a harness will greatly reduce fatigue.
Very good luck to you
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread